Starting again

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cyberpedz

Starting again

Post by cyberpedz »

Hi all new here.

I learnt piano when i was younger only did grade one mind you.

For what ever reason i gave it up and now at 32 really wish i had not i love piano and listening to it. Especially moving, emotional, romantic peace's. I would really love to learn again. I guess what has stopped me is now my age and the fact i have forgotten everything. I mean i remember some of the notes, but can not longer read music so am like a newbie again.

I would love to learn again and be able to play some moving songs. I have been looking at learning online via videos etc and yes i know this is not as good as face to face but my budget right now will not allow to pay for lessons plus i guess i am a little embarrassed to be going to lessons at my age.

Suggestions help etc all welcome, Oh i do have access to a keyboard and piano.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Starting again

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Welcome to the forum.
There's nothing wrong in starting again, and nothing to be embarrassed about; even limited skills, some people will be envious of you. It's perfectly normal for adults to relearn, and teachers should be sensitive & understanding.

I have a few adult learners, aged from mid 20s / 30s right up to 75!
Ring a local piano teacher, and ask if they do fortnightly/ odd lessons, just to put you in the right direction. Don't worry too much at this stage about playing "romantic" music - this will come a bit later.

Re-learning to read music won't take long, about 2-3 weeks, and for adult learners, I even use the same beginner book for them as I do with children.
Try "Piano Lessons Book 1" by Waterman & Harewood (published by Faber) can order it on Amazon/ local music shop - gives you a step by step approach/ learning lines & spaces rhymes/ finger co-ordination/ rhythms.... and some good duets in there for 'pupil & teacher'. If you then need any easy arrangements of well-known tunes.... e.g. 'Love theme' from Midsummer nights dream (Romeo & Juliet theme music) - let me know, and I can send you either a PDF file, or the real music for little cost.

Hope that helps

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen