Yamaha MJ5 advice needed

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Libby84

Yamaha MJ5 advice needed

Post by Libby84 »

Hi, I'm looking for some advice about a yamaha mj5 piano I have seen and am thinking of buying.

I am an out of practise grade 8 pianist looking to buy an upright acoustic. I haven't played properly for several years (lived in flats, couldn't afford a decent piano etc) but I have saved around £2000 and am desperate to buy one now! I won't be practising for hours every day, it'll be recreational use only (though if I ever have children I might teach them to play through baby grades at least).

I have been to a couple of stores in surrey and seen some pretty ropey looking (but nice sounding) pianos for my ideal budget of £1750 including a very damaged 1986 Welmar with a chipped key and scratches/dents all over the unpolished case that I was assured would be ideal for me if I could get past the aesthetics. I couldn't help thinking that was a lot of money for a banged-up exterior, no matter how nice the sound was.

On my most recent store visit I have found a beautiful sounding 1981 yamaha MJ5 (well it sounds great to me), nice touch, some superficial damage to the casing (polyester-some touch ups and small scratches are obvious when close up) that is priced at £1795. I will get free delivery and first tuning. However, I have searched the internet vigorously to find out more about this model and it's quality, value etc and I literally can't find anything. It isn't even listed on yamaha's websites under the 'discontinued models' pages and I know there is a lot of bad press about some yamaha models so am wary.

Can anyone help? Is this a decent price or overpriced? And is this piano any good?!

Thanks in advance, much much appreciated!!!
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Yamaha MJ5 advice needed

Post by athomik »

I suspect that it's a Japanese grey import. If it sound good to you, get piano technician to give it a once over, to make sure there aren't any potential problem lurking in there. Other than that, it should be OK.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Price sounds reasonable inc. delivery & tuning.
No one here will know if this piano is 'any good' unless it is inspected first by a qualified piano tuner/ technician. If you can remove the front panel (in the shop), take a photo of the whole mechanism - and we may be able to give a brief overview of its condition internally..... but we can't say if the piano has been tuned, serviced and regulated.

How do you know this piano is dated 1981? .... serial number?

If the inside of the piano bears the Yamaha name & logo (3 tuning forks on a round crest) - then it should be ok.

I suspect the MJ5 may precede the serial number (photo may help), and could have been exported for the USA market.

Check tuning pin torque/ pitch/ hammers/ strings/ date stamps/ regulation/ hammer butt springs & loops/ leathers/ bridle tapes/ general condition of key bushings/ pedals etc.... an inspection is a MUST if the piano model is unknown. Likely to be ok.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The MJ5 was made in Japan c1970 + manly in Teak was replaced by the P115 made in the uk they are 114 in height nice pianos if in Good order
The usual problems Bass strings and loops of pianos of that age from Yamaha get a tuner to look at it

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page