Would like to find name of song...

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cofie

Would like to find name of song...

Post by cofie »

HI all,
One of my favourite songs is a duet, but i can't remember the name of it, or perhaps i never knew it.
(I'm only a casual piano player, so don't mind the lack on terminology.) One person plays c a f g with the left hand and somewhat similar witht he right.
The other person plays ccc cbabcde eee edcdefg gc (octave up, going down) cbagfedc.
Any help at all would be greatly appreiated.
CoFie
FiaT Lux (Let There be Light)
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

name of song

Post by Geminoz »

Hi CoFie
I believe the song you are wanting is Heart and Soul.
A lot of people play around with it as a duet, but it really is a proper song....it even has words :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...or you can come into any British school at any break time where there is an unsupervised piano and hear it AD INFINITUM as even kids who can't play the piano play that one! :roll: They often refer to it as Chopsticks, although as Geminoz says, it's 'Heart and Soull (I Fell In Love With You)'. Are you SURE you want to play it? :D Gill x
cofie

Ah well..

Post by cofie »

hey, thnx both of you. Ah well, even if it is a kid's song, i still like it, and it's good to actually know the name of it. 8) Cheers
FiaT Lux (Let There be Light)
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Heart and Soul

Post by Geminoz »

Yuo are welcome cofie :D
Hey Gill what do you mean by are you sure you want to play it :? ....I still find it good for stress relief....Love the tune and play a number of variations...good for exercising the fingers...when you play it as a solo.
Never heard it referred to as chopsticks...that is another song altogether...and I love to play that one as a solo also.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I agree, it's great fun, especially when you get all the frilly bits going! I'm not so keen on playing it with five year olds who insist on going back each time they make a mistake...can take weeks! I've always known it as Heart and Soul, but it's amazing how many people refer to it as Chopsticks. Perhaps it's a generic term for anything involving two (or more) people at one keyboard making a racket and having a good time! :) Keep it up, Cofie - have fun; after all, that's the whole point of playing the piano! :wink: Gill x (PS I thought 'Fiat lux' meant 'wash the small Italian car'...)
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Heart and Soul

Post by Geminoz »

Ahhhhh but the smile of satisfaction on a five year old's face when it all comes together is worth it...I went through the stop... start...stop..start with my 5 grandkids...starting them on the base and then progressing them to the melody...they all loved it and we had a lot of fun.
I believe Hoagy Carmichael (sp?) wrote Heart and Soul...it was also recorded by Jan and Dean in the 60s.
Chopsticks was played in the Eddie Duchin Story I think.
Enjoy yourself Cofie.