yamaha V-118NT - S

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Joey1973

yamaha V-118NT - S

Post by Joey1973 »

Hi!

I am a guy from The Netherlands looking for a second hand piano. I've come across a V118-NT (with E serial number) and found out that its a UK made Yamaha. Here in The netherlands I have however not been able to find any additional info on this specific type other than that it was made for the European market.

Anybody got some additional info? eg: how it compares to the more common yamaha piano's (U1/B3/2 etc)? and perhaps from what date it was made and why it was discontinued?

Any views of value are also greatly appreciated. I udnerstand it was built in 2000.

Thanks!

Joey
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: yamaha V-118NT - S

Post by joseph »

Hi Joey,

The V-118 was branded the 'Vienna' model. They are good instruments from the Kemble factory, with the usual high standards of work. It's a smaller piano than the U1, but not by much. I'm not sure why they were discontinued. Perhaps they were limited edition. I suspect that it was the standard Yamaha 118cm piano at that time, or even 116cm piano but with taller casework, I'm not sure.

There were quite a few bought by the RSAMD in Glasgow in 2000, and they're probably holding up pretty well. Yamahas tend to hold up well under strain. They were used in opera coaching rooms rather than piano practice rooms.

I would doubt that there's anything wrong with the piano but 13 years is a long time in anyone's life, so if you're going to buy it, have it checked out by a technician. Make and model are only part of the story when it comes to second hand pianos. Condition and playability are important.
Joey1973

Post by Joey1973 »

Thanks! That gives me more comfort. I will indeed take along a piano technician to check the piano before purchase. Price seems good so I think it should all be OK.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

The letter "S" at the end of the model number would indicate that this piano also has the Yamaha Silent System, which means you can mute the strings and listen to a sampled piano sound through headphones. If you look at the action, there should be a metal/foam rubber bar running all the way along the back of the hammers.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net