buying a steck piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

robmcguire

buying a steck piano

Post by robmcguire »

Hi,

Just wanted some advice. Was thinking about buying a second hand steck piano. Made in 1930s, restored internally and tuned. Needs cosmetic work for some scratches. Going for £400. Good buy?

Thanks for any advice,

Rob
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: buying a steck piano

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Sounds OK.... and £400 doesnt break the bank - so maybe worth the risk/gamble.

Depends also on what you mean 'restored internally' ??

1. Mechanism/ hammers/ levers/ dampers
2. Re-stringing/ voicing cloth etc
3. Keyboard bushings
4. Pedal mechanism

.... thats a guide to the standard internal parts. Mechanism may only be partly refurbed - and for that price, I doubt if 2-4 are done.

If you send us a link/2 photos of the piano [one of the WHOLE piano and other of mech. with front board removed] .... may be able to advise further.

On many occasions, the word "Restoration" is used as an advertising tool only - its true meaning is that everything is replaced - even the hammer heads/ strings etc... but in reality, it is either partly restored/refurbished.... which is different altogether. I've even seen some shops claiming a "full restoration".... and when opened up - just the middle few octaves restored! .... outer octaves - same old parts & materials.

Some previous invoices also claim 'restored internally'.... or used as a general term.
In some cases - only the leathers & tapes have been replaced.... so on my own invoice - this would be a "basic repair" or "basic refurb option B" .... then you know.

Hope that helps.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Colin is right. Restoration means various things to various people.

To me, a full restoration is replacing everything required to bring the piano back to the condition it was in when it was new. In many cases (but not all) this would include replacing the soundboard and the pinblock. It might include replacing the action, but would at least include replacing all the felts in the action, and re-furbishing or replacing springs, pins, definitely replacing hammer heads, damper felts, could be refelting backchecks - the kind of action work that costs at least a couple of thousand.

However, the function of the piano is the important question. It doesn't have had to have been fully restored to be playable, or even good value at that price.

Perhaps the piano has been tuned, fully regulated, hammer heads voiced, had any necessary strings replaced (not a full re-string), cleaned out, running repairs basically. This kind of work usually costs a few hundred pounds too, and there are many decent sounding pianos out there, that are perfectly serviceable.

At that price I think you'd just want to check for structural flaws, that the piano is tuneable, that it has a sound you are pleased with and that the action and pedals work without problem. You'll also want it to look reasonable. There are many very very good pianists coping on far worse!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Equally good advice there from Joseph.

Obviously we dont know the first thing about you Rob - is this your first piano? Can you play the piano? ....

For a beginner [if you are one] - its a good start, but I might be tempted to contact the seller before it sells and check it over. Possibly ask a few questions about what has been restored?

Forget all wording the piano says and try it out.

Let us know how you get on.... and good luck with the piano if you buy it.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen