Pinblock decay

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Pinblock decay

Post by classic-keyboard »

As I 'enjoy' the last few days with my old Collard grand before it goes to landfill I'm curious about the particular way in which the tuning has fallen apart. To my knowledge the piano hasn't been tuned for at least 5 years and there are loads of pins that are so loose the strings won't hold at all. What interests me is this: why does it seem to be always the left-hand string of the three that's gone? I can't find a single tri-chord where the middle or right-hand string won't hold.

If I hold down the una-chorda the piano actually doesn't sound bad and is at concert pitch according to my tuning forks. Apart from the low bass, the only pins that have failed seem to be the left hand ones of the tri-chords.

Why is this? Just academic interest of course...
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Pinblock decay

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

The tuning pins on the left side of each set of three locate into the front section of the block. Most likely the front of the block is fracturing laterally, left to right.
Dan Silverwood
http://www.silverwoodpianos.com/
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
vernon

Post by vernon »

That's correct.it seems you have a longidtuninal crack in the wrest.
No cure. New wrest plank plank,
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Thanks guys. Yes - of course it's obvious once somebody points it out to me - all those pins are near one edge of the block. As I said, the piano is going to be scrapped, even though I really hate the whole disposable society thing.

There's a Collard grand on eBay at the moment that's the doppelganger of my piano - except that it has apparently had £6,000 worth of restoration (without replacing a pinblock). It's up for £2,750. This is a pretty good illustration of why my piano has to be thrown away. Just for laughs it's worth looking at the listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330939716403

(if you look really closely they seem to have mislaid the left hand cheekblock - perhaps I should offer them mine!).
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote:That's correct.it seems you have a longidtuninal crack in the wrest.
No cure. New wrest plank plank,
There is a cheaper option than a new plank

Tuner need to back out all the pins in the cracked area , plus a few ether side the crack, pulling on string to save them. With action removed put masking tape over the holds under the plank then put some wood under to support the tape as you would to support the plank when restringing. Now fill all the pin hols with a good epoxy resin allow to dry for a few days. Then re-drill hols to match old pins, use old pins and strings, pull them up if done well you will have made the repair which will match the old strings Tuning pins can be a tad jumpy but no more then on some far east pianos
Did this a lot in the 80 and 90s manly on uprights that did not warrant the cost of restringing

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Interesting, Barrie. Well anyway such a decision is now out of my hands because the dealer supplying my new piano is taking the Collard away next week. (yes, I've ordered my new piano)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

classic-keyboard wrote:Interesting, Barrie. Well anyway such a decision is now out of my hands because the dealer supplying my new piano is taking the Collard away next week. (yes, I've ordered my new piano)
What have you gone for

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Barrie - see my other thread "Yamaha C3 v. Kawai KG-2". I went for the C3, gawd help me.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

classic-keyboard wrote:Barrie - see my other thread "Yamaha C3 v. Kawai KG-2". I went for the C3, gawd help me.

Yes I seen it thanks after I posted enjoy the C3

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page