What are legal rights faulty floating soundboard

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Markholloway

What are legal rights faulty floating soundboard

Post by Markholloway »

Hi guys. please can you help me. I have a faulty floating soundboard on my perzina gp120sl piano. It is still under the 5 year guarantee. My tuner says it can be repaired but I may not like the sound. What is are my legal rights? If I am offered an exchange do I have to accept it or can I demand a refund? I'd appreciate any advice.mark
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are legal rights

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Deepens on the problem and what has caused it

under UK law the retailer has to be given the chance to repair or replace any faults in the first 12 months of the guarantee the closer to the 12 the less chance of a refund. if the piano is over 12 months old, then a refund is out of the question and its all down to the interpretation of the extended guarantee on what is done and by who

Have you sent a report to the retailer

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: What are legal rights faulty floating soundboard

Post by Withindale »

Your legal rights stem from the Sale of Goods Act (e.g. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... goods-act/) and the terms of your contract with the retailer. As Barrie says you need to discuss the problem with your retailer and see what they say.
Markholloway

Post by Markholloway »

Thanks for reply.

My piano tuner thinks it is due to a design fault. He has got in contact with the company I bought it from. They said they will send someone round. I am awaiting to find out when
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Hello,
considering the investment in and projected life expectancy of a piano, any fault discovered in the first few years would render the piano 'unfit for use'. This means that you can appeal to the Dealer (while under warranty) and the distributor/manufacturer for any claims against faults which should not be reasonably expected. If you have no luck, contact your local Trading Standards office.
Markholloway

Post by Markholloway »

Hi everyone.
Just a little update. The piano shop sent a piano technition to inspect it and will be monitoring it over the next few weeks as my piano tuner had just tuned it. Will inform you of any progress. Mark
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Where is the board adrift as a matter of interest?
Some years ago, Rippen produced some uprights with a board that was not anchored at the bottom edge [intentionally just for the record!]
David Hamilton Smith