Piano buying

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Paul Macintyre

Piano buying

Post by Paul Macintyre »

Hello

I am brand new to the forum so please forgive me if I have missed something obvious but how do I access the piano buying advice FAQ section which remains locked?

Excellent site by the way.

Many thanks.

Paul M
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Piano buying

Post by NewAge »

That's strange. I just tried a minute ago (without being logged in) and had access ok.
- I'm using a Mac and Firefox 19.0.2 web browser, but don't see that should make much difference.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Paul Macintyre

Post by Paul Macintyre »

Thank you very much,

I'm using Windows and Firefox and also an iPad with whatever they use, I haven't a clue. Still can't get access, I suspect it's me, I'm a Luddite. The path to failure is;
Piano Forum > Pianos, then a list;
Moderators
Piano History
Piano Advice
Piano Buying Advice FAQ; sadly locked
click anyway;
16 posts, all individually locked but equally curious; none appear to have any replies e.g. first post; 11,305 views and no replies??

As noted, great site, I am only starting the hesitant journey of moving from digital to acoustic and in only one day of casual browsing and I have already learned such a lot. Gosh! Some very enlightening surprises.

I can't even use the site - just wait till I get confused about which piano to get!

Thanks again and any suggestions as to how to unlock the secret box would be most welcome.

Paul M
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Paul Macintyre wrote:Hello

I am brand new to the forum so please forgive me if I have missed something obvious but how do I access the piano buying advice FAQ section which remains locked?

Excellent site by the way.

Many thanks.

Paul M
Welcome to the site

the FAQs are locked as just to read only, not to post to, this section is for posting to

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Paul Macintyre

Post by Paul Macintyre »

Thank you very much, Barrie

I have now just touched the individual post titles and the communication histories have opened successfully. Splendid. My education, late to start, will continue apace.

Having great fun in the process.

Paul M
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

So from your findings so far, and Barrie's comment regarding all FAQ's being read only, it appears you have the necessary access to read FAQ's.
If your intention is to eventually purchase a s/h piano as an instrument to play (as opposed to just a piece of furniture to admire), the best possible tips can be summarised as follows:
1. There is no so thing as a free piano.
2. If the upright piano is straight-strung & overdamped, run away from it.
3. Don't purchase a piano from the internet or elsewhere without seeing & playing it first.
4. Get a tuner/tech to check out a used piano and to give the green-light before purchase.
5. Don't rush into a purchase. Play many different makes & models as they all sound different.

Come back to us for any additional necessary advise before a purchase in order to prevent (all too common) buyers remorse.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Paul Macintyre

Post by Paul Macintyre »

Thanks again, New Age.

It is indeed to play, I'm musing new or nearly new. A grand and in the 10 - 15k range. Give or take. I will definitely be buying from a reputable dealer, a number of whom have been mentioned by name on a separate thread and noted, one of which I have already visited and will be returning. I'm asking before, in order that the after is happily ever. Hopefully. I have already tried quite a few pianos at two separate dealerships and am slowly honing in. On the list had been a Brodmann 187 which I rather liked but was surprised and interested to note from another thread on the site, the Chinese connection, no reference to which is made in the Company literature although much is made of the Bosendorfer connections. I also noted the observation, "If it (the name) sounds German, it probably isn't." I have no problem about an oriental input per se but I'd sooner it was up front and not buried. Yamaha and Kawai remain to be sampled. I will be back before long no doubt.

Best wishes

PM