Brinsmead Grand Pianola

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

christos

Brinsmead Grand Pianola

Post by christos »

I have a John Brinsmead 6'1" grand which also has the Melodant Angelus by Willcox and co pianola mechanism the serial number is 73259 and apparently from what i have found out so far it is one of five made in the world.
Has anyone heard of such a piano or knows about what it is worth?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have never come across a Brinsmead pianola before as to its value the usual rules apply with one extra the pianola part can add value - if you are correct and only five were made, then it will become a collectors piece if in good order, but how much depends on who wants it. I would ask Ian at the Player Piano Page http://www.pianola.demon.co.uk/

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Brinsmead

Post by Bill Kibby »

I've heard this line so often, I even worked under a manager who used it without conscience to sell pianos and organs. Pianos are almost always mass-produced by the hundreds or thousands, with only slight variations, so if someone says there were only four made, I would say "PROVE IT!". Also there is the one about "only four have survived in the whole world" - how would anyone know? Someone said this about a Berry upright with electric sconces, and I have tuned lots of them when I worked for Berrys, there's one just along the road from my house.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would agree that 4 is a small number. However, it may have been a test run with Angelus Melodant Player action and they found it to be too expensive, but more like 400 would be near the mark.

However, as to short runs of models, Kemble did one 2 years a go with the Quantum they only made 60 pianos and Broadwood did a one off for the Queen for the Silver Jubilee (this was a variation on a current model done in Silver)And then there is the Challlen Grand only 2 and the Knight Grand piano only a few of them were made.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I came accross a situation a few years ago where the customer was told that there were only five pianos of this king in the world, without looking I think the make was "Windover" or simular. The piano, a rather large upright with 5 pedals including a guitar effect, and bass sustain. I since came accross another identical one in the same area. Both of which were in comparitively poor condition, about 110 years old and American.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Bill Kibby

Urbam myths

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, I have a great many examples of people who were told these things, and many are definitely untrue, and what I would really like to do is hear from someone who has definite evidence that a certain piano was made in fours or fives. As for the other idea, that anyone could know how many of a type survie in the whole world, it is impossible, even with the internet. I could have a piano in my house, and the world in general might know it was there. The same applies to every house in the world.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
christos

Post by christos »

Well I cant prove there are only 5 made but so far i have rang every piano tuner restorer seller etc in the yellow pages and NOT ONE of them has seen a grand piano with the angelus player on it.
I have done a lot of research on the internet and i have only traced one in a museum in england
JohnS_99

Re: Brinsmead Grand Pianola

Post by JohnS_99 »

I have one of these, purchased in 2012 from a Buxton antique shop. Now reconditioned and in full working order. Serial number 66325 making its manufacture around 1912. At that time I also 'discovered' there were only 4 made: one in Australia, one in America, mine, and (reputedly) one made for HM the Queen Mother.