Schimmel K169

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chess1

Schimmel K169

Post by chess1 »

Hi,
I have a Schimmel K132 upright, 5 years old, which i am thinking of replacing with a small grand, now that we have moved and have more room!
I am looking at second hand, but unsure what to look out for, in terms of value for money and wear and tear. I am going to see one built 1991 on sale for £14,000, and one built 2001 for £22,000. Do these seem reasonable prices? Is 20 years too old - although ad states it has been refurbished? Would you expect there to be problems with it?
Does anyone know if there were any improvements made to this type of grand - i.e. are they the same instrument, just different ages?

Also unsure how to price my upright. I am offered £7,000 trade-in. Would I be better trying for more in a private sale?

Thanks for any advice.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Schimmel K169

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Its difficult to comment on second hand pianos without seeing it first, the best way t for you to proceed is to go and play them first, if it is a private sale find out who was the last person to tune it and ask them about the piano. Then pay your own tuner to go and inspect and write a report on the piano. The report should tell you any current problems and future parts that may need changing under normal playing in the next 5 years

Remember second hand grands that are 20K and up tend to be owned by grade 5 and above pianist so it will have been played well and in some cases to to the point it needs a lot of parts replacing

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Schimmel K169

Post by Withindale »

Far from what its title suggests, this thread is about any grand better than your Schimmel K169!

Why not take your time to play plenty of grands and eventually find the one you want for the money you are prepared to pay?

I learnt a lot in a day at the London piano houses but I'd have to go back to make a choice. As an impulse buy I would have gone for a delightfully restored small Bluthner that was comfortably within your budget.

You can do well privately but you have to know exactly what you are looking for and recognise it when you see it.