Piano upgrade + trade in

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

bartgovaert
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano upgrade + trade in

Post by bartgovaert »

I know there are a fair amount of people from the trade here - please advise.

I few years ago we bought a Kawai K2 and we have been very happy with it ever since.

We are now considering to move to a place where noise could be an issue, so I am considering getting a silent piano. I think I'd go for a Kawai K3 Anytime (I believe the K5 AT are quite a bit more expensive).

Would you guys recommend that I trade in the K2 with the purchase of the K3 AT? The instrument is 5 years old (bought new), has been tuned several times per year and except for a near invisible few scratches in great shape. Or would you suggest a separate sale?

If any of you want to make me an offer I can't refuse, contact me at bartgovaert at gmail dot com by the way.

Thanks

Bart
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Piano upgrade + trade in

Post by mdw »

Probably flog it first. My guess is the dealer will only be able to retail it for 2/3rd max of its new price even if its perfect. Hes got to move it twice, couple of tunes , bit of regulation, guarantee it and make a bit of profit so your probably looking at 1/2 its new value as PX at best.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You could retro fit a silent system into your Kawai K2

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Yes, I agree with Barry, the cheaper option is to have a Pianodisc system fitted, around £1200-£1400. This would give you a silent piano and you wouldn't loose any money selling or trading in. The Kawai system fitted to K2 upwards is a better system but is very expensive.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.