Bentley piano - please help.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Equador

Bentley piano - please help.

Post by Equador »

Hi,

my parents have asked me to help sell their piano for them.
Problem is apart from a few lessons as a child I know nothing about pianos. Google isn't being much help either!

It's a Bentley (in case you haven't guessed by now) and has a number inside - 116587 (does that mean anything to anyone?)

So could anyone give me an idea of how much it's worth and where to sell it?
It'll need retuning by the way.

Thank you for your help!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Bentley piano - please help.

Post by Colin Nicholson »

We cannot value your piano here (read the notice above in the blue box) - you will need to have it inspected by a piano tuner/ retailer - or someone that buys and sells pianos. Value depends on also its internal condition/ tuning/ tuning pin torque - and general condition of the cabinet, keys etc.

There are many different kinds of numbers inside and outside of pianos. If the numbers you see are decalled onto the gold (or green) cast iron frame (just inside the top lid), near the tuning pins, this may be a serial number - and if it is, the numbers suggest a date of around 1968...... but you should have these numbers checked, or send us a photo.

Have a look on Ebay - many are sold on there to get an idea of prices.

If you sell it privately, you are best getting it tuned - will sell better. Otherwise its like selling a car with no MOT. If its not regulated either (serviced) - then its like selling with no MOT and Tax! Many ads say "tuned regularly" or "just been tuned" - works better.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Bentley piano - please help.

Post by mdw »

Ring 3 local shops, get quotes , take best price. Thats best price where they will put the cold hard cash in your hand NOT the one that says ohhhhhhhhhhhhh its worth thousands but I dont want to buy it at the moment.