need expert opinion on this Bechstein

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dr0ndeh

need expert opinion on this Bechstein

Post by dr0ndeh »

Hi there, I have recently been given the opportunity to purchase a Bechstein (mini?) grand piano, I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me out on a rough model/year/value on this piano, as if im correct Bechsteins are quite valuable? The owner is quite elderly and i promised them i wouldnt rip them off, so if someone here could give me a rough ballpark figure on the value of this piano i'd really appreciate it, so that both me and the owner get a fair deal.

here is a photo they've given me, i know it doesnt give alot to go on but im sure just by the legs/shape etc someone here will have some idea.

slightly larger here:
http://i.imgur.com/7Qobz.jpg

thanks for your time, and apologies if its against the etiquette of this forum for me to just barge in and start asking questions on my first post!

cheers!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: need expert opinion on this Bechstein

Post by mdw »

Get your local tuner to check it over £40-£60. Then you know what it problems are and they will give you some idea of price.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

WE can't give valuations here (as per the blue header text)...... you will need to book an appointment with a tuner to make an on-the-spot assessment, and also to partly tune it to test the wrest pins & wrest plank. Some Bechsteins are notorious for a cracked plank.

The Model number will probably be printed inside as a black decal letter.
Each model letter is specific to the length of the piano. Example - a Model 'M' is 5' 11", and a Model B is 6'8". Anything shorter than 5'8" is a baby grand (not mini) - mini refers to certain types of upright pianos like Eavestaff.

By the shape of the legs (octagonal) - the piano looks around 1890 - 1910 (ish) - but if you can find the serial number inside (near the tuning pins) you are looking for a 5 digit number. For example: 54181 is the year 1900..... so this piano might start with a 3,4,5 or 6?

Bechstein are a good name, but not THAT valuable - they are only worth something if fully restored - i.e. re-strung/ new action/ new wrest plank/ keys bebushed/ re-polished .... the full works.

As mdw pointed out, a valuation will cost in the region of £40 - £60 (maybe a taj more) - and takes around an hour to complete. Also check the pitch/ string condition/ any broken parts or missing strings/ flattened & grooved hammers etc.... will all knock the price down.

However, please note that some tuners just "tune" and do repairs etc. You will need to ask if they can give a valuation - some tuners may only have a rough idea. There is no real "price guide book" for pianos, but based on previous London auctions, if you can get the serial number/model/ length of piano (from the back of the CLOSED lid to the front of the keyboard) in feet & inches, I may possibly be able to give you a rough auction price (unrestored) - but not a private sale price. Much of the price will be about the condition of the internal parts.... about 12,000 of them!!

Hope that helps

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
vernon

Post by vernon »

looks like a very common model B about early 20th century.
Need lots more information tho
You must get a technician to look at it as otherwise everything is supposition on our oarts,
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk