Lippmann pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

rothschildm

Lippmann pianos

Post by rothschildm »

I am trying to find out information about Lippmann pianos as I am considering buying a vintage upright - but I cannot find anything at all about them. Where are/were they made? I've been told they are among the best uprights ever made... I will get to hear one soon, but any opinion on this? Can't find any for sale, so no idea how much one even costs. Any information much appreciated. Thanks!
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Lippmann pianos

Post by Withindale »

There are plenty of dealers selling Lippmann pianos in the UK listed on Google. They should be able to tell you about the origins of this brand and and its qualities.
Last edited by Withindale on 11 Dec 2012, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Withindale wrote:They should be able to tell about the origins of this brand and and its qualities.
Problem is they don't tell you.
I've tuned a few of these newish upright brands, and OK, fairly nice to play, but cheap parts inside & bass not that good. Typical polyester of the Far East, and the usual signs of a blank piano with a name added on.

There is no mention at all about their history (not even in Pierce Atlas) - that's because I think they dont have any, and I suspect they are a spin-off from China and an attempt to make them sound like Lipp pianos - who of course are in a class of their own. In all attempts of dealers trying to explain their origin/ description/ history - these bits are left blank.

The name itself adhered to the fallboard may also be a stencil piano.
I'm not convinced they are a manufacturers name, but more like a "add on the mann" to make it sound German.

Thats my opinion anyway - I would get it checked out.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Richard Lipp?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I wonder if anyone has found out any more about Lippmann pianos? I have to tune one, it looks like a Yamaha upright, but the name on the front and the frame is Lippmann.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info