Buying a piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ivorynovice

Buying a piano

Post by ivorynovice »

I am trying to buy a piano for my children (grade 1 and grade 4). The issue I have (in the words of Anne Ku - Buying forum) is the commitment to the future of music (in our household) and the return on investment. On that basis I have been looking at favoured reliable brands which have a good resale value. Namely Yamaha U1, U3 and U10.
I have been offered a Yamaha U10A imported serial 5 million (refurbished) for around 3.6K and also new Kemble K121CL (made in Indonesia) at same price. The sound of U10A is delightfully mellow, the new Kemble needs breaking in. Based on the above criteria which one should I go for?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Buying a piano

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Assuming that your children are having private piano lessons, I would recommend that you ask your piano teacher to try out the pianos you mention. This is a normal procedure, and most teachers are happy to help if it means good progress.

The pianos are well capable of reaching grade 8 and beyond, so their 'grade' at this early stage is not that important. The Yamaha U10A seems to be around 20 years old according to 5 million, and I would ask what was involved in the refurbishment - I doubt if the piano has been re-strung/ new wrest pins, and usually a standard mechanism overhaul & refurb is done for that price of the piano. I've not tried the new Kembles. Also, have a look at the Kawai range, K1, K2 are a good piano.

Don't rush into your purchase, and shop around - and possibly ask a piano tuner/technician (a shop assistant may not be fully trained) to give it a final check over. If you are prepared to pay over £3K, then paying a piano teacher/tuner is "chicken feed" compared - and peace of mind.

In terms of investment, Yamaha are reliable, but your piano would only be worth something depending on how well it is looked after in years to come, regularly tuned (every 6 months) & serviced/ regulated/ toned etc (and all receipts kept).... and any piano will lose value if neglected. Also check out things like warranty, delivery, piano stool/ possibly a free tuning after delivery.

Hope that helps.....

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

My guess is the Kemble dealer is going bust or dumping the Kemble stock as the price you have been offered is what it cost the dealer so there is no margin in it for them. So on the basis of a worn out Yam that needed to be refurbished at 20 yrs old or a new Kemble at trade cost I know what I would do.
ivorynovice

Post by ivorynovice »

Thank you for your advice. Both pianos are from different dealers. I like the idea of getting a piano tuner to test them both and will look into this. Kemble themselves are doing a special deal to reduce their European stock. Should this be reason to be cautious?
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

ivorynovice wrote: Should this be reason to be cautious?
Cautious of what?

Musical quality? Longevity? Resale value?

From Piano Buyer:
The Kemble family has been manufacturing pianos since 1911. In 1985 Kemble started making pianos for Yamaha for the European market, and in 1988 Yamaha bought a majority interest in the company and expanded and modernized the factory. In 2009, Yamaha closed the Kemble factory and transferred manufacturing of Kemble pianos to Yamaha plants in Indonesia and Japan. Until its closing, Kemble was England's only, and Western Europe's largest, piano manufacturer. Kemble says that its pianos will continue to be made in the same models and designs, using the same components, and to the same quality standards, as before. However, they will no longer be marketed in North America. Kemble dealers in the U.S. will continue to sell off their remaining inventory, and Yamaha Japan will continue to stand behind the Kemble warranty. For a description of the Kemble line, and for Kemble model and price information, see the Fall 2009 or Spring 2010 issue of Piano Buyer.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Be safe and sound and consider the Kawai K15 of even better K2
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

[quote="ivorynovice Kemble themselves are doing a special deal to reduce their European stock. [/quote]
Sounds like sales talk to me but i decided to stop being a Kemble dealer a year ago so I dont know :D ....................or care. They are still a good piano I just dont like the Yamaha way of doing things now.