Bechstein piano serial number 65623

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Suzanna

Bechstein piano serial number 65623

Post by Suzanna »

Hi there!
I am new to the forum but really,really need some advise please.i am about to buy a piano from a private seller. I haven't seen it in real life yet.i now it is a bechstein in rosewood case,overstrung,under damper,88 notes,tuned to concert Pitch.the serial number is 65625. Now,I cannot find this number any where so don't really know the age. The seller says is 1930-1940. She wants 900£ for it. It that price okay?
Thank you so much for your help
Suzanna
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Bechstein piano serial number 65623

Post by Johnkie »

The serial number you quote would indicate that it was made around 1902 .... so it would appear either it's 110 years old or you have the incorrect serial number :wink:

As far as its worth goes ........ there are too many things to take into consideration, and the only way to get a better idea would be to get a good tuner/tech to examine it for you.
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I recommend you MUST take a piano tuner with you inspect this piano. The seller's estimated date has greatly been exaggerated - usually spells danger!, and if the serial number is right - Johnkie is spot-on with 1902.

I am about to partly restore a Model 10 Bechstein (1904) - it is 85 key, oblique strung - casework & ivories in excellent condition.... but the internal mechanism is in SHOCKING condition! .... loads of broken damper springs (and weak ones), no leather left, needs re-pinning...... and loads more to do. I estimate so far this prelim work will cost around £1.5K including labour.... without re-stringing.

Very risky buying an old piano (even Bechstein) without a pre-inspection.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Suzanna

Post by Suzanna »

Thank you so much.my tech cannot see the piano at the moment and the seller wants to sell it to a dealer very quickly so probably i will leave this time :(
suzanna