Access

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

1sttpiano

Access

Post by 1sttpiano »

cant see the tuners part of forum,i have a great ear for guitar,and am reaally gonna have a go at tuning my first out of tune piano,so was looking for sum advice really.
Gill the Piano

Re: Access

Post by Gill the Piano »

The tuner's forum is for trade only - sorry! A few years tuning at college and then we'll let you in!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Tuning a guitar is one thing. People who claim to have perfect pitch are a nightmare when it comes to trying to tune pianos. Tuning pianos is an entirely different ball game. I have worked with pianos (as an electronics engineer) for more than 25 years. I know some basics about acoustic pianos, I can tune a guitar, I can tell whether there is something wrong with a piano (tuning or mechanics) but I would never dream of trying to do the job of a piano tuner/technician.

To get an idea about what's involved, I would recommend reading Randy Potter's book (google it). It's informative, but it's not enough to make a competent tuner/technician.
1sttpiano

Post by 1sttpiano »

thanks for the info,but i got this "gold standard Reyburn CyberTuner" so,if aNyone would like a cheep copy of this,let me know,as im tackling this job myself,i undastand it will be more dificult than guitar,but i have a grand ear!,thanks again,any advice how to find out what piano i have,i added some more pics to my other post.neil
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

Gill the Piano wrote:The tuner's forum is for trade only - sorry! A few years tuning at college and then we'll let you in!
I would disagree with this statement.
When I initially signed up for a membership here I sent a message to the moderator of the tuner/tech forum about joining up there. Since October of 2011 I have never received the courtesy of a reply.
In the trade since 1974.
Cheers,
Dan Silverwood
http://www.silverwoodpianos.com/
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Silverwood Pianos wrote:
Gill the Piano wrote:The tuner's forum is for trade only - sorry! A few years tuning at college and then we'll let you in!
I would disagree with this statement.
When I initially signed up for a membership here I sent a message to the moderator of the tuner/tech forum about joining up there. Since October of 2011 I have never received the courtesy of a reply.
In the trade since 1974.
Cheers,
Vernon must have missed it, I have added you to the list. Also its not just for tuners its for Retailers as well

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

1sttpiano wrote:thanks for the info,but i got this "gold standard Reyburn CyberTuner" so,if aNyone would like a cheep copy of this,let me know,as im tackling this job myself,i undastand it will be more dificult than guitar,but i have a grand ear!,thanks again,any advice how to find out what piano i have,i added some more pics to my other post.neil
A word of caution may be appropriate here.
Until today I wouldn't have recognised a Reyburn Cyber Tuner if I had fallen over one, but being fascinated in all aspects of anything piano, I did a few minutes search to enlighten myself.
I now understand it's an E.D.T. and available as a PC/Mac program or as an iApplication. At an official price of close to $1000 I don't doubt for a moment that it's a fine piece of kit for the pros, but as the OP is offering a 'cheap' copy I feel that a caution of "buyer beware" may be appropriate.
I've also read in the past that the EDT can sometimes pick up, diagnose and indicate incorrect data putting a note here or there sharp or flat. I suspect that to an experienced tuner any anomaly would be 'heard', and corrected. To a novice or inexperienced tuner (I know they're around because I've had one visit me) the piano would probably be left at the imprecise setting indicated by the EDT.
In other words surely the electronic tuner should always be used in conjunction with the human ear.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I say go for it , make sure you have put by £150-£200 to cover the cost of a tuner sorting it out once you have had a go ( plus a bit more for broken strings) and have fun. :lol:
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

Barrie Heaton wrote: Vernon must have missed it, I have added you to the list. Also its not just for tuners its for Retailers as well
Barrie

Mr. Heaton,
Thanks for the response and the assistance with my membership access.
All the best,
Dan Silverwood
http://www.silverwoodpianos.com/
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."