Best Value Upright Piano?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

thepiano

Best Value Upright Piano?

Post by thepiano »

I'd like to buy an upright piano for under £3000. I have been looking at a new Feurich 115 which is within the budget. Is there any other better options/brands?
What is the risk of buying restored old pianos vs the new ones
:piano;
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Best Value Upright Piano?

Post by NewAge »

I've not played a new Feurich 115, I'd like to.

There are a number of interesting previous posts along somewhat similar lines. Here http://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forum ... f=3&t=9854 for example.
Try as many new and used pianos as possible within your budget, and eventually purchase from a reputable dealer.
Good luck!
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Your best VFM would be a good 4-5 year old 120+cm upright from good maker that someone else has taken a hit on as the first owner. Not some knackered import but a one owner piano thats had little use , has just settled in nicley and is ready for the next 50 years of life. They are out there you just have to look and start with your local piano dealer/shop. Most shops get them in a few times in a year and if you know it will go straightout we certainly are happy to take a lower margin on them as they dont hold the foor space for too long.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

You can find some pretty good deals even in shops like Steinway and Bluthner, if they've accepted trade ins. The pianos that are not part of their new or rebuilt inventory and that are by other makers tend to be priced very low for clearance. There are some pretty decent pianos hiding in some places.

If you feel you have to have a new piano, then you're going to be looking at something like a Feurich/Wendl, Brodmann, any number of Chinese or Indonesian pianos. They're OK but they are built to a price.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Would agree with all of the above,used market a minefield for a novice,better to buy new and have peace of mind with manufacturers 10 year warranty my choice would be a new Kawai K15,best of luck.
thepiano

Post by thepiano »

Thank you all, your advice is greatly appreciated.

I visited a couple piano workshops last week, I tried a restored 130 upright Neumeyer, which was within my budget. It has a nice German soft sound with ivory keyboard, which I think it would not be to lound in my reception room. However, I have a second thought after the seller told me that it has no serial number. How important is a serial number?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I wouldn't say the serial number is the most important thing in the world, especially for a company that no longer functions. What you need to know is what condition the piano is in, what work has gone into it etc. What does restored mean? How much are they actually wanting for the piano?

As a rule, go for the newest piano you can, providing that it remains within a certain quality, so, don't buy something new that you know is poorly built, just for the sake of it being new.

English pianos from the 1980s and 1990s can be fairly good, and of course, Kawai and Yamaha providing certain conditions are met - the instrument shouldn't be falling apart.

I'd be tempted to push the boat out and get a new Kawai K15, but shop around.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Save yourself all the hassle of driving around, time wasting,and conflicting views buy new and get peace of mind should be able to get a new Kawai K15 for below the 3K mark,delivered,tuned and prepped with a 10 year warranty,best of luck.
thepiano

Post by thepiano »

I have now narrowed down the choise to Kawai K2 or Feurich 15. I'd like to ask your opinion which one has a better value?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

thepiano wrote:I have now narrowed down the choise to Kawai K2 or Feurich 15. I'd like to ask your opinion which one has a better value?

value is not the name of the game, its buying a piano that you like and can afford. However, IMO the Kawai K2 will have a better resell value if you want to upgrade or just sell

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

"Value" is very much part of the game as well as the sound you like,the look of the instrument in your home etc,if the piano retailers had to rely on only accomplished pianists buying,or serious amateurs there be a few more heading out of business,the ones that will continue to trade are the ones that offer the respected makers at reasonable prices,the perception of "value" is paramount today as it was in years gone past.