Sdhimmel pedal.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Sdhimmel pedal.

Post by Gill the Piano »

The metal pin on the top of the rod for a sustain pedal on a Schimmel Konzert, 6 y.o., has suddenly started to knock against the underside of the frame. It's still in its guide hole and the pedal adjustment seemed as I left it; so why has it started to do it? I adjusted the pedal down a little, so it engages later and the rod doesn't go up so high when the pedal is used. My question is; why has it started to do this? It's in a v. old house with high humidity (had been as high as 75/80) and I could only think that the floor of the piano may have moved. Any suggestions? Dealer doesn't want to know as it's a year out of warranty.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Sdhimmel pedal.

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I cant picture what you mean. Is it the metal pin that goes through the rubber grommit into the crank lever (vertical rod)? or something else?
Can you send us a pikky?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Any suggestions? Dealer doesn't want to know as it's a year out of warranty.
I'd ask Schimmel too if the dealer is not interested:
http://www.schimmel-piano.de/info-email_en.php.

Ian
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Can't do a pic, but yes, it's the metal pin which passes through the rubber grommet; it's clunking against the underside of an arched part of the frame.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I suppose you could put a few centre rail washers between the rod & underside of the crank lever to allow you to drop the rod, so the pin is almost flush with the grommet - if you get me?.... or a bit of leather glued to the frame. But I cant think whats causing it in the first place.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Errr........ it may seem too obvious but .......... if the rod is wood pull the pin out and drill the hole a little deeper ( might it even just have started to work its way out - in which case, clout it back in ) .. or trim a little off and re-round it off.
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
vernon

Post by vernon »

Ive got two Schimmels at the mo and will investigate their entrails the morrow as it's time for beddy-byes
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Johnkie wrote:Errr........ it may seem too obvious but .......... if the rod is wood pull the pin out and drill the hole a little deeper ( might it even just have started to work its way out - in which case, clout it back in ) .. or trim a little off and re-round it off.
I considered that; but given that the problem has only started recently, I thought there must be some glaringly obvious reason for it which would make me beat my head against a wall when I realised what it was! I may have to do that (adjust the pin, not beat my head against the wall), but am still rabidly curious as to the cause of the sudden onset of the problem.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:
Johnkie wrote:Errr........ it may seem too obvious but .......... if the rod is wood pull the pin out and drill the hole a little deeper ( might it even just have started to work its way out - in which case, clout it back in ) .. or trim a little off and re-round it off.
I considered that; but given that the problem has only started recently, I thought there must be some glaringly obvious reason for it which would make me beat my head against a wall when I realised what it was! I may have to do that (adjust the pin, not beat my head against the wall), but am still rabidly curious as to the cause of the sudden onset of the problem.
Has the pin worked its way up in the rod see if it will tap down

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Is it something like this?

or this?
Schimmel.jpg
Schimmel.jpg (31.53 KiB) Viewed 21589 times
If so perhaps the damper rod has been forced back towards the frame by some movement of the damper lever between the pedal and the rod. What stops the end of the waggling sideways from front to back where it is attached to the rod? In other words the pin striking the frame could be a sympton rather than the root cause.

Just a passing thought.

Ian
Last edited by Withindale on 15 Sep 2012, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I've now scrutinised our Schimmels and cannot see how your problem arises.There seems to be lots of spare room.Careful adjustment with a hammer seems indicated.
However,speaking as a diy student of psychiatry and occasional brain surgery I feel the cause could be more personal.
I suggest it could be RTS (Repetitive Tuning Syndrome)
Lying down under a sun lamp with a warm Guinness 3 times a day tends to cure most things except the hangover that seems to result.
Meanwhile,I would be delighted to catch a seaplane from the nearest loch and travel down from the Land of Mad King Alex Salmond to advise you on the spot.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

If the pin is any longer than 1/2 -3/4 inch then it is almost certainly a case where the pin has worked its way out. Sometimes the rubber grommet tends to grip the pin and pull it out if there has been too much free play. I little tap with a hammer on the pin will identify whether this is the case or not, and if it is ... pull it right out, put a drop of glue in the hole before inserting back, and lightly smear the pin with Vaseline to allow free movement between the pin and grommet.

Best wishes - John
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote: I suggest it could be RTS (Repetitive Tuning Syndrome)
Lying down under a sun lamp with a warm Guinness 3 times a day tends to cure most things except the hangover that seems to result.
That would have to be Real ale in mine and Gills case and at lest 4 times a day, with a packet of pork scratchings or dry roasted peanuts sod the sun lap

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Noooooo, not dry roasted, Vernon; nasty shrivelled up things! And yes, Barrie's right (Barrie's ALWAYS right) in that it has to be real ale. And no sun lamp - at my age, a refrigerator seems far more appealing... :oops:
Right, belt with a hammer it is then. I mean, careful adjustment with an american screwdriver, as my carving teacher calls it. On reflection, I can see in my mind's eye that the pin did seem long, so it probably HAS gone walkies upwards.( It's like your second picture, Ian) I should have thought of that. :roll:
vernon wrote: Land of Mad King Alex Salmond
My Glaswegian friend is quite convinced that that man is turning into a toad...
Thank you all - I'll see it again to tune it in a couple of weeks when the lady's Boston grand (hmm) arrives and I go to tune them both. I'll let you know!
vernon

Post by vernon »

Gill
There's your epiphany!
If Mad Alex Salmond turns into a turd,sorry,toad, then you can give him a big kiss and he will become your Prince Charming and whisk you up the glens with a sporran full of porridge and a caber up his kilt.
You could then tune together happily ever after

Get some romance into your life woman. Are you fated to see out your years doing advanced temperaments for raving maniac pianists and tuning perfect fifths with a bit knocked off?

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

vernon wrote:If Mad Alex Salmond turns into a turd,sorry,toad, then you can give him a big kiss
Get some romance into your life woman. Are you fated to see out your years doing advanced temperaments for raving maniac pianists and tuning perfect fifths with a bit knocked off?
a) re Alex Salmond; I'd rather take out my own appendix with a rusty spoon, ta. (and to be fair, he'd probably say the same...)
b) Yes, probably! :mrgreen:
WellTempered
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WellTempered »

Speak to Schimmel x they are fabby......far more importantly ...........are we talking about Southern Real Ale (correct temperature e.g Spitfire) or Northern Real Ale (stupidly cold with a big head?) xxxx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Proper Southern stuff which isn't half froth and too cold to taste (although sometimes that's a bonus with the other stuff...!) Specifically Rebellion. Mmmmm, Rebellion!
Now sit back and wait for Barrie to let fly... :mrgreen:
vernon

Post by vernon »

Gassy is it?

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Yes, his Northern stuff is!