Very interesting Bluthner

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Very interesting Bluthner

Post by joseph »

Today I came across a very interesting Bluthner Style 8 piano in Norwich.

It was built around 1918, and has an exceptional art case. It's gate legged, inlaid Yew I would say (I'm not CERTAIN but it was a light golden colour), and it has a square tail. The fallboard is chamfered slightly at the part where it touches the keyslip.

It has a patent action, which has been reconditioned, and has been re-strung, re-felted and the original board has been cleaned. It sounds and played beautifully. I'm going a concert on it next year. I don't have any pics, sorry.

Also the manufacturers logo isn't the usual script style writing, nor is it the block capital Bluthner sometimes used. Anyway, it's a delightful piano in every way, and I just wanted to share.
Gill the Piano

Re: Very interesting Bluthner

Post by Gill the Piano »

Sounds nice; will you be able to get a pic later on?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

In fact yes and I'm going to take a video on it. SO you'll see and hear it.
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

I had a Cramer here a while back with the six legs; it also had the pin stripe inlay in an almost Sheraton style cabinet.
Quite possible to be yew on the inlay. Could also be blonde ash, or false acacia (Robinia pseudoacacia) which is commonly called black locust, indigenous to North Africa and the southern US.

Black locust is primarily used today for xylophone keys. Interested in viewing the video when it becomes available.
Dan Silverwood
http://www.silverwoodpianos.com/
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."