In Need of Guidance

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

CompleteNovice

In Need of Guidance

Post by CompleteNovice »

As my user name would suggest I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to buying pianos particularly with regards to both the technical side and financial side. I'm looking to buy a new piano and I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to how much money I should spend. Would it be more advisable to go for something around £500 being slightly more affordable or would I find that something more expensive (around £1500) to last me longer and generally be of a better quality. I'm 17, grade 7 and would happily keep the piano I buy until I can afford my Steinway Model D, which in all honesty, might be a while!
Thanks!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: In Need of Guidance

Post by mdw »

If you are grade 7 I think you really need £2500 to £3500 minimum. At £500 or £1500 you are not going to get a piano that will do the job you need.
CompleteNovice

Post by CompleteNovice »

Thank you very much for the advice, was afraid someone might say that! But I'm happy to keep the piano for a fair few years and there's no point in buying a piano which doesn't fit the bill, so it's advice which I think I'll follow. Just need to raise the funds really, if anyone wishes to donate enquire within!!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

In general, it's true you won't find a piano that will be truly suitable for you for less than a few grand, but that said, there are surprises out there.

When I was doing grade 7, I had a 40 year old Challen upright, nothing special, certainly not in the £3000 league of pianos (or £1500 at the prices of the time....), but it was actually perfectly OK. I passed with a high distinction (wow, I'd made it...) and I still have the piano, although it's not the one I use these days.

So, don't despair. There are pianos out there. If you are scouring the for sale ads or ebay, look for a piano built no earlier than 1940 (which is already pretty old), and look for names like Chappell, Challen, Broadwood, Welmar, Knight, or if you're lucky, Bechstein, Bluthner, Grotrian.

What you need at your stage is a piano that works, not necessarily a piano that is perfect. It needs to be fairly even and stay in tune, and not have a particularly heavy touch (heavy touch is not necessarily better for building finger strength - it can cause tension and damage your arms if you don't know how to use it).

You may be able to find something for around £800. IF YOU ARE LUCKY, I mean.

Also, ALWAYS TAKE A TUNER WITH YOU WHEN YOU INSPECT A PIANO! ALWAYS!