Learning on a bad piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Dymer77

Learning on a bad piano

Post by Dymer77 »

Hi there not sure if I've posted in the right place. I've recently started lessons with a teacher, who I find really helpful (I'm studying for a performance diploma) but their piano is really awful and I find it so hard to play and create the sound I want, to the extent that I'm contemplating finding another teacher. I don't know whether this is reasonable or not. The teacher says that if I can play on that piano I'll be able to play on anything... Some advice would be great please
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Learning on a bad piano

Post by chrisw »

People usually find it difficult to play well for a teacher anyway. Can you achieve the sounds you want to make with your own and if so perhaps the condition of the teacher's piano isn't that critical. Having said that a teacher should have a reasonable piano but there may be understandable reasons why this isn't always possible.
If you like the teacher, are making progress and get satisfaction from your own piano then stay. However the decision is yours.