Schiedmayer & Soehne

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

tracks

Schiedmayer & Soehne

Post by tracks »

Hi there, I have a Schiedmayer & Soehne Stuttgart grand piano left to me in a will. My mother in law was a concert pianist. She left no papers indicating the worth or origianality of the piece. I've searched everywhere and only came up with number on the bottom of the casing although it looks as though it was written in yellow chalk but to rub it away is impossible. The number is #942-D or P,not absolutely sure which but it looks more like a D to me.
Also on the Keys lid, when lifted up, is marked; Prize Medal 1851-1862 London to the left of the name and 1st Class Medal 1855 Paris to the right. The wood is mahoghany, original casters and strings, ivory keys and in great condition. Only the top has been bleached a little by sunlight.
Any information you can give me on this piece would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about pianos and would like to know more about what I have before a tuner and appraiser come to see it.

Thank you very much for your time
Bill Kibby

Re: schiedmayer & soehne

Post by Bill Kibby »

Serial number dates published for the two Schiedmayer firms are not entirely reliable, but they are much longer numbers. Your message tells me nothing at all about the individual piano, so without photos, I can't tell you anything, except that it was made after the 1862 exhibition.

If your tuner thinks is it safe to remove the action, it may be marked with the action makers' name and number, and I may be able to date this.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
yennie

Post by yennie »

Hi there, i have a same piano like you describe at home. on the key's lid at the left side its written 'Prize medal 1851-1862 London' and at the right side its written 'Medaille 1re classe 1855-1867'. beside that, in the middle it also written 'Chrendiplom Mien 1873', schiedmayer & soehne stuttgart, Gerundet 1809. the piano was made from wood. the piano is indonesia.

I need some information how can i find out the originality of the piano.

thank you so much for any information.
vernon

Post by vernon »

for the sake of accuracy the legend will read "

"Ehrendiplom Wien 1873 Sciedmeyer u Soehne (maybe umlauts) Gegrundet 1809"

meaning " Honourarydiploma Vienna 1873 Schiedmayer and Sons founded 1809!
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Various examples on the internet think 1809 is the date of manufacture, but "Gegrundet 1809" means the company was founded in 1809. The other dates all refer to medals and awards received by the makers at exhibitions, so the piano was made after the last date that is mentioned, as described at
http://pianogen.org/exhibition.html

I don't know what you mean by "originality" but there should be numbers visible if you open the top, and these may give us the date of manufacture.

Can you post photos of the whole piano here, or email them to me?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Phiphi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Schiedmayer & Soehne

Post by Phiphi »

We had a Schiedmayer at work for a number of years. I can vaguely remember that the serial number was written on the lower face of the soundboard. So, you'll have to crawl under the piano.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

The real problem is the different sets of numbers. Schiedmayers separated into two firms in the 1800s, but may have combined again in the 1900s, that is research that is a bit too modern for our budget.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
vazgmar

Post by vazgmar »

Hello,
I have one old grand piano from 1873 Schiedmayer & Soehne Stuttgart grand piano...
And i want to sell it...
If any of you sell this piano or help me selling this i can give that person 15% of price...
Also on the Keys lid, when lifted up, is marked; Prize Medal 1851-1862 London to the left of the name and 1st Class Medal 1855 Paris to the right.

Just my contacts

vazgenmargarian@mail.ru
+37495258007
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

May be a suggestion to try and sell it here >>

http://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forum ... ?f=8&t=830

also provides FAQ about how to sell your piano
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

@Vazgmar,
I note you are a first-time poster here, prompting the sale of your own piano.
Unsure if you are a regular internet user, but giving out your e-mail address and telephone number is something that one should never, ever do.
I strongly advise you to edit your post and remove your e-mail address and number, otherwise you risk being inundated with spam, spyware or even worse.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

I have a Schiedmayer & Soehne piano made 1898, wonderful craftmanship.
Today they make Celestas only but they have all old files from their production.
Mrs Schiedmayer at their office in Stuttgart kindly told me the year of manufacture, where it was sent and to whom it was sold.