Philipp Friedrich Wolff, Vienna

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

organist

Philipp Friedrich Wolff, Vienna

Post by organist »

Hello!

Can somebody help me with age of my piano? It was made by Philipp Wolff (Wien), serial No. 1116. The only information I have is the medallion from World Exhibition in 1873. Another information - the builder's full name was Philipp Friedrich Wolff (or "Wolf").
Thanks in advance!
Bill Kibby

Re: Philipp Friedrich Wolff, Vienna

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have no information about this particular Wolff, and no special access to Viennese piano information, so I don't think I can help you very much, except to say that it must have been made after 1872. If you can upload some photos here, or email them to me, I may be able to estimate the date.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
organist

Post by organist »

Bill Kibby wrote:I have no information about this particular Wolff, and no special access to Viennese piano information, so I don't think I can help you very much, except to say that it must have been made after 1872. If you can upload some photos here, or email them to me, I may be able to estimate the date.
Yes sure I will email them to you just now.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

It appears to be a very late Victorian Viennese grand, perhaps even as late as 1902. They were beginning to conform more to the designs of other countries, losing their bulbous legs, distinctive turned white stays to hold the top open, etc., but had not yet abandoned the Viennese actions. Perhaps someone else on the forum can look up Wolff in Clinkscale's book, my research is mainly about things that aren't in books already. Is there any other wording, such as the action maker's name?
1902~PhilipWolffWien126g (1).jpg
1902~PhilipWolffWien126g (3).jpg
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
organist

Post by organist »

No, there are no other names or inscriptions. But anyway I don't think it's 20th Century, since the strings are straight and an absence of full cast iron frame. If I know well (from the other late Viennese grands), the cross strings and iron frames were common from ca. 1875-80, even if the action was still Viennese.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I agree that was the logical conclusion, but I think it is later. It is quite likely that you know better than me about Viennese grands in general, but pianos very much like this were certainly being made in the late 1800s, and some Viennese makers were behind on technical advances. By 1880, I would still expect to see the bulbous legs, turned stays, and various other traditional features.

One thing that puzzles is me is that most of their actions of the late 1800s were very similar, but nobody seems to know who made them.

Sadly, the Piano History Centre is non-profit-making, and doesn't have the funding to pursue international information. In order to obtain funding, the project has to have charitable status, but we cannot register as a charity unless the project has an income over five thousand pounds!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Wilfried Ramsaier

Post by Wilfried Ramsaier »

Hello!
By looking for some information about Philipp Friedrich Wolff I found your posts.
I'm a violinmaker in Vienna and I have a nice Viola, made by Philipp Friedrich Wolff in Vienna in 1840, described himself as a pupil of the famous Viennese Violin and Guitar MakerJohann Georg Stauffer (see the attached label from the inside of the instrument). Me and so far no one of my colleagues know him.
Has someone more information about him? Maybe other string instruments as guitars?

Wilfried Ramsaier
Attachments
IMG_0381.JPG
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Lovely city. Once made the mistake of being taken to a Heurigen before having a proper meal.