R. Weissbrod

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

klavierana

R. Weissbrod

Post by klavierana »

Hi,
We have just gotten a new to us upright piano and would like to find out how old it is.
It says R. Weissbrod Eisenberg S.A. Sächs. Hof-Pianoforte-Fabrik. The serial number is 9242.
Any help greatly appreciated,
klavierana
Bill Kibby

Re: R. Weissbrod

Post by Bill Kibby »

Very few dates of Weissbrod numbers are available, all I can tell you is that they were established in 1884. If you can post photos here, or email them to me, I may be able to estimate the date.

If your tuner removes the action there may be an action maker's name and number, and I may be able to date this.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
klavierana

Post by klavierana »

thanks for your help, bill.
i will keep that in mind and ask the tuner when he comes round.
klavierana

Post by klavierana »

just to let you know i was just informed that the piano was built in 1911.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Amazing, I should have stuck with my first instinct, 1912, or as I said to you, "just before 1914"! It's useful to have a date for the number. I have failed miserably in trying to get photos on this forum!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
artandbeyondlb

artandbeyondlb

Post by artandbeyondlb »

Hi,
We have a new upright piano and would like to find out how old it is.
It says R. Weissbrod Eisenberg S.A. Sächs. Hof-Pianoforte-Fabrik. The serial number is 7289.
Any help about the manufacturer is greatly appreciated,
Joe.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

To quote what I said in the items above...

Very few dates of Weissbrod numbers are available, all I can tell you is that they were established in 1884. If you can post photos here, or email them to me to post, I may be able to estimate the date.

If your tuner removes the action there may be an action maker's name and number, and I may be able to date this.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Bill Kibby

Robert Weissbrod

Post by Bill Kibby »

WEISSBROD (Robert) EISENBERG
Some dates of serial numbers are available in Musician's Piano Atlas.

1884 Established.
1897 Weissbrod received Leipzig Staats Medaille.

Circa 1897 #10833 "Good afternoon, I have a Weissbrod upright piano that was gifted to me and I am trying to find out more information about it. Would I be able to get assistance from you? Thank you, Jennifer 2016" "Under the top is brass and at the top of that it says in brass "R. Weissbrod hof-pianoforte-fabrik eisenberg churingen hochsle auszeichnungen staats medaillen etc." Under that is a number in black and that is "10833". Thank you for all your help:)"

1900 Weissbrod received Wickau Staats Medaille. Other exhibition medals are displayed on later Weissbrod pianos, but we have no details yet.
1909 is the estimated date of a Weissbrod piano on the filmmusicmontreal website.
1911 Listed as makers by Alfred Dolge "Pianos and their makers".
1915 is somebody's estimated date of Weissbrod piano #16657, suggesting that numbers increased by about 500 per year since 1897, but this disagrees with the published dates of their numbers, which suggest 1930.
1925 #13000 - first published number suggests a rough average of 320 numbers per year.
1928 Musique Adresses Universel lists R.Weissbrod, Eisenberg.
1932? #17968 Weissbrod piano is mentioned on David Boyce's website. "Hi Bill, Good to hear from you again. The Weissbrod piano is my own, and I wrote the wrong date! The serial number is 17968. The Musican's Piano Atlas has some numbers listed for Weissbrod. 1930 is 16500, and 1935 is 20000. So my piano is early 1930s. In my area there is another Weissbrod, about a decade older than mine. Best regards, David"
http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/

Youtube video link about Weissbrod... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxs1jLDdbE4

Later pianos apparently bear the name Wilhelm Steinberg.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
dboyce
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dboyce »

They are very fine pianos. My own has a beautifully ornamental plate. The bichord section is odd - I think at higher tension and with thinner core wire than would be used in a modern scaling. MIne, from the early 1930s, is 84 notes.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Weissbrod seem to be well built pianos, but the grand piano I attempted to tune (about 3 years ago), sadly, was far from "fine". A local arts council near the university went out and bought this 6ft grand Weissbrod, and I believe the secretary of the arts council, who knew nothing about pianos, bought a complete shed. Had beautiful carvings throughout, and ornate cast iron frame work - but was riddled with RUST from head to toe due to being previously kept in a cold/ damp environment; black ebonies, much of the veneer was missing and blistered.

I attempted to (at least) to pre-tune it one tone flat, as there were signs of broken/ replaced strings due to heavy rust around the tuning pins, coils and most of the string's surfaces. When I told the secretary about its condition, she passed my info onto one of the pianists who was going to perform on this piano for a concert. In one of his replies, he said "why would a piano not be tuned to Concert Pitch?" ....... so I'll leave that for someone else to answer, after bashing my head against a brick wall !!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
ward_c

Post by ward_c »

Hi anyone,

I'm hoping this forum may be still used. I bought an R Weissbrod upright piano around 30 years ago. The serial number is 5772. The seller at that time believed the age of the piano to be circa 1900. I recently bought a 2nd hand copy of the 10th edition of the Pierce Piano Atlas to see if this could tell me more. Unfortunately not as this includes only brief information on one Weissbrod piano from the 1920's.
So if any of you can help me find out a little bit more about the history this would be much appreciated. By the way I need to get it tuned but it is otherwise in good condition.

Regards
Chris
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

The earliest number published is 130,000 for 1925, and we can only guess if this means yours was made around 1886.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
ward_c

Post by ward_c »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply last March. I think your guess of the date is close based on some of your other postings. However I got a date of 1903 from a website claiming to give you a build date based on the maker's name and the piano's serial number. I am a little sceptical about whether this is correct given the first published serial number wasn't until 1925.
Best Regards,
Chris
Ceciliejuulh

Post by Ceciliejuulh »

Hello!
Im new to this site because I desperately need some help with my piano!
There’s not much information about these Weissbrod pianos so I hope this chat has not closed yet!
At least I think my piano is a Weissbrod, even though it says “Weifsbrod”, since my piano has the same “Leipzig” stamp as a weissbrod paino. The piano is very beautifully detailed and I found a serial number 4122
All I know is that some interior designer names Gao Wan’an owns one (I believe there’s three made in the world!) who was estimated to $360,000! But since China is closed down for the entire world, I can’t contact anyone to get more information! Does anyone by chance know anything I can do to get wiser on my piano?? Or who to contact?? Since my family and I are moving we have to sell it!
Thanks!
Last edited by Ceciliejuulh on 25 Jun 2021, 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
Feg

Post by Feg »

Hello

I'd be very dubious of claims like 'only three made in the world' and 'worth $360,000'!
Neither statement is likely to be true.

This thread has pretty much all we know about this piano brand/maker and if you are looking for a pre-sale valuation, the best way to go about it is to contact your local piano tuner and ask them to assess and value your instrument.

Fiona
polofemilimc46

Post by polofemilimc46 »

Ceciliejuulh wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 20:58 Hello!
Im new to this site because I desperately need some help with my piano!
There’s not much information about these Weissbrod pianos so I hope this chat has not closed yet! employee monitoring
At least I think my piano is a Weissbrod, even though it says “Weifsbrod”, since my piano has the same “Leipzig” stamp as a weissbrod paino. The piano is very beautifully detailed and I found a serial number 4122
All I know is that some interior designer names Gao Wan’an owns one (I believe there’s three made in the world!) who was estimated to $360,000! But since China is closed down for the entire world, I can’t contact anyone to get more information! Does anyone by chance know anything I can do to get wiser on my piano?? Or who to contact?? Since my family and I are moving we have to sell it!
Thanks!
I read several articles on your topic, and found only a few mentions with the spelling “Weifsbrod”, mostly some Czech and German newspapers and websites selling pianos
Are you sure that the cost of this was estimated at 360.00?
Perhaps this is precisely because the owner is a famous designer?
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »