Scrine Piano's

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

scriney

Scrine Piano's

Post by scriney »

My grandfather & great grand father were once piano manufacturers in London before & during the turn over the 20th century. The factory was destroyed during the Blitz of WW2 and I've only leanrt of this history via my father who was only 14 at the time of the loss.

Would anyone have any information on SCRINE piano forte makers, or know of a piano in existence?

many thanks
Peter Scrine
Bill Kibby

Re: Scrine Piano's

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have nothing ready on computer about Scrine, but I will see what I can find on card and paper files. Do you have any more details about where they were in London, or when they began? Please keep in touch with the Piano History Centre in case anything turns up in the future.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Re: Scrine Pianos

Post by Bill Kibby »

1892 Our Post Office London Directory does not list any piano firms named Scrine, although there are other trades with that name.

1911 Not listed in Kelly's Directory.
1914 Not listed in our Music Trades Directory.
1910~ is the estimated date of piano #11723, which bears the name Henry D. Scrine. I tuned this piano for an elderly couple in Essex in 1990. The action was imported from F. Langer, Germany, suggesting a date before the 1914 war.

1928 Our Musique Adresses Universel lists Scrine, London: W.P, Scrine & Co., 89, Dawes Road, Fulham SW. & 4, Gowan Avenue, Munster Road, Fulham SW. Sold pianos and organs, not listed as a maker.

1938 Not listed in our Music Trades Directory.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
daisyblackcat

Post by daisyblackcat »

Hi there
I know this is a long time after your original post, but if you are still out there you may be interested. I have a harmonium which bears the maker's name Henry D Scrine, 48 Dawes Road, London SW.

I have been trying to sell this on eBay, with no takers. Basically we are moving house and the new house has no space for it. If you are still interested in acquiring an instrument with your family name on it, now is your chance!

Best wishes
Carol
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Scrine certainly sold pianos and organs, but I have no evidence that he made instruments.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
bltonwry

Re: Scrine Piano

Post by bltonwry »

I tuned Henry D. Scrine, London birdcage #16138 (1880ish) yesterday, up over two semitones to modern pitch. Poor thing may or may not have survived, as the treble was sinking dramatically. It has oblong tuning pings and fairly functional overdampers. The fallboard decal says 48, Dawes Road, London, S.W. It's in Coventry owned by a lovely Irish actor if you care to visit.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Thanks, it is interesting to hear of another one, it prompts me to have another go at finding some record of the factory. Is there any chance they could email me photos of it? I don't suppose an overdamper with oblong pins will be anything strikingly original, but it would be interesting to see it.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Nero

Post by Nero »

scriney wrote: 12 Oct 2011, 05:45 My grandfather & great grand father were once piano manufacturers in London before & during the turn over the 20th century. The factory was destroyed during the Blitz of WW2 and I've only leanrt of this history via my father who was only 14 at the time of the loss.

Would anyone have any information on SCRINE piano forte makers, or know of a piano in existence?

many thanks
Peter Scrine
Not sure if this thread is still going and my apologies if I’m posting on wrong place! I am new to this forum. Currently emptying a relatives house and found this old Piano apparently given to me as a child! Googled it and only found this post as any reference of Scrine Pianos! I hope you find it interesting! Not sure If you received my email, thought I’d give it another chance here!
Attachments
169B7167-1EDC-48AF-B708-FFEFE76DBF7E.jpeg