Murdoch, Murdoch & Co. piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jeffkolish

Murdoch, Murdoch & Co. piano

Post by jeffkolish »

Hello, I have bought a miniature piano for my daughter... who is 9 months old. Yes I maybe getting ahead of myself here. But it seems in responbile condition and would like to know more about its history. It was made by MURDOCH MURDOCH & CO and it stands about 43"H X 42"W X 24" at the keyboard and 12" else where. You can see a picture on www.ebay.co.uk if you did search for 3731971642 .
So any history other than what is stated within the ad would help. Additionally I live near Hunferford West Berkshire - if the forum could recommend a good piano restorer known to live/work nearby?? If you haven't guessed it I know little or nothing about piano's and forums like this are really helpful to newbies. Regards Jeff
Bill Kibby

Murdoch Claremont

Post by Bill Kibby »

I take it that "miniature" is your own description? It doesn't seem terribly miniature, just a short (5-octave) keyboard. Press www below to look at my pages on Datemarks. I can supply lots of historical notes on the Murdoch firm, but nothing specific on this piano, which may be the first responbile piano I've come across. (My typing is, of course, absolutely flautless!)
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 02 Jul 2004, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jeffkolish

Murdoch, Murdoch & Co. - Minature Upright Piano

Post by jeffkolish »

Hello Bill

Thanks for the reply.

Where is the link that you mention?

Should I say I'm responsible and the piano reasonable or the other way round... :)

Jeff
jeffkolish

Post by jeffkolish »

Hello again Bill,

Forget last... need to read the full msg..

When I get the piano home I have a look further details.

Regards

Jeff
Bill Kibby

Claremont by Murdoch

Post by Bill Kibby »

Murdoch’s "Claremont" models may have numbers in the main Murdoch series, but they also use yet another set of numbers, for example 11,116 is about 1928, & like most Spencer- Murdoch pianos, their dates can also be determined with Malcolm action numbers by the 1920s.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info