Leken - made for William Cole No.24809

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

sam

Leken - made for William Cole No.24809

Post by sam »

I have the above piano. Can anyone please tell me anything about it? I have searched all over the place but cannot find the name Leken anywhere. Thanks a lot!
Bill Kibby

Leken / Cole

Post by Bill Kibby »

I know of J. Leker, and several firms named Cole, can you narrow it down by giving me any more details such as where you are in the world, or any addresses for the piano maker?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
sam

Post by sam »

Thanks Bill. I am in Sheffield, England. I bought the piano locally, second-hand about 15 years ago. I think its made of mahogony, that's about all I know.
Sam
Bill Kibby

Cole

Post by Bill Kibby »

W.F. Cole & Sons were dealers at 76,78 & 80, Surrey Street, Sheffield in 1911-14, but don't appear in any of my earlier Sheffield lists so far. "William Cole" suggests an earlier date, pre "& son". Leken is a mystery so far.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
sam

Post by sam »

Sorry Bill ! There IS something I forgot to mention. A piano dealer in Abbeydale Road, Sheffield told me that the name came from two names - Len and Ken - and that these people called their pianos Leken.
Bill Kibby

Leken / Cole

Post by Bill Kibby »

So the maker wasn't Leken, but in all probability it wasn't Cole either, they probably bought them in from wholesalers. This means that there is more chance that datemarks and codes can be found which are recognisable clues. Any photos?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
sam

Post by sam »

I'm afraid I don't have a photo. There is an oval badge painted in gold inside the piano. It has two pictures of two naked children offering each other flowers and the words 'We hereby guarantee that this Pianoforte to be in every way a thoroughly sound & reliable Instrument. Furthermore we undertake to rectify any defect due to faulty construction within FIFTEEN YEARS of date of sale.' The words 'Manufactured for William Cole' appear under the lid and the number 24809 is on the top of the side.