Piano tuners - a history.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Gill the Piano

Piano tuners - a history.

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm trying to find information on the history of the piano tuner in England for a PhD. Are there any tuners descended from generations of tuners out there who might have information, ledgers, notebooks, tools, or other ephemera they might be prepared to lend me? I'd guard it with my life and send it registered post, of course. Also seeking any stories of tuners from way back, if anyone has any interesting tales. I know it's an oddball subject, but if any audience is going to be sympathetic, it's this one! :D Thanks for any info you are able to offer.
Gill x
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Have you tried the Tuning dep at RNCB or Edie Wilkins the guy who trained him was trained by Hipkins 1846 of Broadwoods he has lots of info on tuners (see list of tuners Shropshire) seek out Denzel (sp) Brian Kembles Uncle (Kemble pianos) . Also, Roger Willson has some very interesting tales to tell and has Access to the Bluthner tuning records up to WW1.

Have a chat to Brenda at Broadwoods Tuning Dep she has access to the archives and they have had a tuning round since Adam was a lad 020 738 68525

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 10 Jun 2004, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

As ever, Barrie, you have come up with the goods. If you didn't prefer Northern beer, I'd call you a prince among men! I'll raise a pint of Brakspear's to you tonight... :lol: ! Gill x
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote:As ever, Barrie, you have come up with the goods. If you didn't prefer Northern beer, I'd call you a prince among men! I'll raise a pint of Brakspear's to you tonight... :lol: ! Gill x
Not come across that one their web site is very informative be a devil have two pints Iam haveing some K 1664 at this moment.

Have you asked on the PTA list and newsletter the editor is Les Sherlock www.pianotuner.org.uk and IMIT www.imit.co.uk newsletter editor is Ron Bird who is a very interesting man to talk to, he knows a lot about what is going on in the trade.

Morleys in London they have had a tuning dep for a long time also, Harrods – Then you have the PTG and MPTA in the US

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Tried the PTG, with no response, but haven't heard of the MPTA, so I'll try them. Morley's were informative on the telephone but didn't seem to think my looking at the records would be helpful - but that was 2 years ago for my MA dissertation, so I could always ask again. All this info is brilliant, Barrie...if I buy you a firkin of ale will you write my thesis for me, please?! It's only 90,000 words, so it wouldn't take you long... Thanks for all this help - cheers! :wink: Gill x
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote: Barrie...if I buy you a firkin of ale will you write my thesis for me, please?! It's only 90,000 words, so it wouldn't take you long... Thanks for all this help - cheers! :wink: Gill x
With my spelling and grammar they would not be able to understand it unless they drunk 10 bottles of Firkin Ale. Can you fill out a 90k word dissertation on the life and times of a piano tuner, mor4e like nine words to sums us up “They make lots of money and can be inquisitive”

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'll freely admit to being inquisitive, but loadsamoney? :shock: Not in this neck of the woods! Perhaps I'm not tuning the right way... Gill x