Seiler 1846?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

niko

Seiler 1846?

Post by niko »

A friend of mine has Seiler Grand piano built in 1946 for Russian Tzar. How it is possible, when Seiler started in 1849. It is made of rose (the flower) wood. Are there any pianoes made of rose?
Bill Kibby

Seiler 1846 or 1946?

Post by Bill Kibby »

You have evidently typed one of the dates wrongly. If it was 1946 it would not be for a tzar. If it was 1846 how do you know? It would not be Seiler, because as you say, he began in 1849. Is there a number easily visible inside the top? And who says it was for a tzar? Many pianos mention prestigious sales to tzars and royalty etc., that does not apply to the individual piano.

As for rosewood, (roze-wood) lots of victorian pianos used it, it is a term applied to several close-grained dark red hardwoods (chiefly Dalbergia) which grow in tropical climates, and have a rose-like fragrance. In Australia, "rosewood" may refer to several different varieties, including myall and sandalwood. I don't think you'd get much wood from the average rose bush!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
niko

Post by niko »

Thank you. Yes there is a number inside the piano - 3201. Does it say anything?
Bill Kibby

Seiler

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests 1874, subject to all the usual problems in relying on numbers.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info