BENTLEY AGE?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

WHISPER
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

BENTLEY AGE?

Post by WHISPER »

I bought my 8 year old daughter a Bentley upright that she loves to play.
When I bought it I was told it was 1936 -8 age I have found a carved number on the top of the piano inside on the case it says 12073 so am confused as I can not find this as a date.
does anyone have a clue it would be nice to know for sure.
not that the piano could be loved anymore than it is. :D
Gill the Piano

Re: BENTLEY AGE?

Post by Gill the Piano »

According to Pierce (not always reliable, particularly on English makes) that makes it 1922. Does it resemble a 1930s radio in appearance? Those are the commonest type of older Bentley still around. You might fiund a date scribbled on the first key on the lefthand side if you can take all the casework off the top half of the piano.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

If you know how to remove the far left hand key, you will usually find a date written on the side of it.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I think Gill and "pianomate" must have answered at the same time, they both said the same. Have a look at my Datemarks page at www.pianogen.org

As Gill said, the number suggests 1922, but most pianos have several numbers inside so have a look at my Numbers page too. I didn't think they called them Bentley until 1930.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
WHISPER
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WHISPER »

I have just found another lot of numbers on it so it may not be the date info I wanted.
I do not fancy taking it apart so may never know.
I was told by its last owner a composer that it had the date 1936/8 so unless the piano tuner spots anything when he come as he is re felting it and attending to a few things that need tweeking.
If I find out I will let you all know. it does have Bentley in big gold letters plus a lovely fold away music stand.
and the sellers dealership was Alf Baily Kettering.
thanks for all your help so far. :D
WHISPER
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WHISPER »

The two numbers I have found on the top of the piano under the lid are 345790 and 12073 but I do not think these are to date it with.
what does everyone else think? :piano;
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

All I know of Alf Bailey in Kettering is that he was a tuner in the seventies. One number is too big, the other is the "1922". Ask your tuner to check the keys for datemarks.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
WHISPER
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WHISPER »

Many thanks I will ask the tuner although he is not booked till 1st march.