Breidenstein upright piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Irena

Breidenstein upright piano

Post by Irena »

Hi,
Could you please help us to find any information on our piano. This piano was a family piano for someone in Sydney, Australia for over a century and we are the second owners.
The make says "Breidenstein".
The serial number(?) on the right to edge is 7549 X 9457.
A text stamped below the serial number (and copied on the opposite edge) says:
"FROM
C WINKWORTH & SON
ANNANDALE"
Annandale is a place in Sydney, and I assume the piano was purchased in early 1900s.

There are no any other signs or numbers as far as I can see (Of course I did not disassemble anything) but there is a large crown on the metal frame.

I uploaded few pictures here- some taken by previous owners (who are so interested to learn more about this piano as well), and some taken by us.
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/thelonlyalex/Piano#

Any information will be very appreciated! Neither us nor our local piano tuner could find anything about this make.
Thanks!
Bill Kibby

Re: Breidenstein upright piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Winkworth was a dealer in Annandale, and I suspect that Breidenstein is a made-up name for pianos bought in from German wholesalers. Serial numbers are no help with this one.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Irena

Post by Irena »

Thanks, Bill!
May be the crown on the frame could say anything about possible german wholesaler of the piano? An may I just ask- why does the name "Breidenstein" is written on a small piece of wood inserted into the base rather than written on the base itself?
Thanks and happy new year!
Irena.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't know what you mean by "the base", can you describe it? I don't have any particular access to German information, so it's largely a matter of luck if information turns up here. Many piano firms used crowns, I don't recognise this one.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Breidenstein

Post by Breidenstein »

Hello,

Irene means the lower part of the fall board under the music desk. You will notice that the word Breidenstein is written on a piece of wood which is rectangular and set into the fall board rather than the gold letters inlaid directly into the fall board.You will see the joins if you look closely at the picture.This may indicate that another name was removed and replaced with the name of Breidenstein ( perhaps made up and the result of someones humor-- Bride and stein (beer stein) --redolent of a wedding feast).Maybe these were factory seconds which found their way to Australia to be "re badged" and sold here.
Breidenstein

Post by Breidenstein »

Irena,

I have recently purchased a Breidenstein upright like yours.
My serial # is 9147
What did your tuner think of your Breidenstein?

I live near Bowral in the Southern Highlands.
I would be interested in seeing yours to compare its sound.If you are interested you can see mine if you wish.
I think its a very interesting piano.
Its sound reminds me of my first piano teachers piano.
If you look at my other post you will see that I think too that the piano is a re badged piano from a quality german maker.The crowns were used by numerous makers to denote quality--It would be interesting to find out where they did actually come from.

Best wishes
Sam.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

A kot of Scottish firms used German-sounding aliases on pianos bought in from anonymous wholesalers, so you are unlikely to find out much about the company, and the thing to do is focus on what you can learn from the piano itself, and what it is like as an instrument. Have a look at pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
IreneM

Post by IreneM »

Hi

I too have A Breidenstein abd want to give it to someone who would like to learn piano.
Mine too has a Gold Crown inside and serial number 8549
Breidenstein is written in gold foil on the face of the Piano amongst the filigree etching above the keyboard
Not on a separate board

If anyone is interested in it let me know
Imakis@hotmail.com
Im in Sydney Australia.

I am curious tho about its history so ill keep following this thread