Etherington / Skivington

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bill Kibby

Etherington

Post by Bill Kibby »

Etheringtons certainly claimed to have been established in 1792, but I have been unable to verify their existence before 1886. They remained at Hill Stree until at least 1928, were at Red Lion Street by 1936, and gone by 1938. They were dealers, and it is unlikely that they actually made the pianos.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
malco

Post by malco »

Message for CSSmith93

Hi, I've just come across your enquiry dated 3 year's ago (!) enquiring about Etherington Pianos of Richmond.
I am the grandson of the original owner and wondered if you are still interested.
I would love to receive a photograph of your Etherington piano, especially showing the maker's label.
If so, please let me know at the following address, what you would like to know, and I will try and collect up some information for you.
Kind regards,
Malcolm.

malcolm-etherington2 (at) supanet (dot) com
Bill Kibby

Etherington

Post by Bill Kibby »

I am always interested in piano history! If you would like to email me, I have a little information, including a 1903 receipt, and would be pleased to exchange for anything you may have. Also, do you know Kerry in Australia, another descendant?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
keys1205

Etherington Pianos

Post by keys1205 »

I've just come across this thread and wonder if you can assist with information about my piano, a baby grand bearing the name Etherington and No. M19548. I think it dates from the 1930s.

I had not previously heard of the name Etherington in connection with pianos but would be interested for any background information.

Many thanks.
Bill Kibby

Etherington

Post by Bill Kibby »

Numbers are not available for this make, and as I say in the item above, I doubt that they actually made the pianos.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
malco

Etherington

Post by malco »

Here is the scanned text of an article originally published in May 1912 in the 'British and Colonial Piano Journal'

ETHERINGTON'S NEW PREMISES
Those who are familiar with Richmond, Surrey, will have noted the Corporation improvements which have been going on recently, and the widening of the- main thoroughfare, in which there is now much traffic. This has involved some changes among shopkeepers, notably the erection of new premises in George Street for Messrs. Etherington, the well-known pianoforte firm. The new premises, which have been erected from the designs of Smith and Brewer, architects, of Richmond, has a frontage of 42ft. It is a magnificent building fronted with Doulton's Carrara ware. There is a staircase leading up to the first floor, which forms quite an imposing concert hall, which will seat about 175 people. These fine rooms will be used in connection with the old premises in Hill Street, a portion of which, it is said, will be used as a gramophone room. It is interesting to trace in these fine premises another instance of progress in trade. The business of Etherington's was established in Twickenham in 1792, being transferred to Richmond in 1830. In the shop may be seen framed the indentures of -James Etherington, who was apprenticed to his father in 1816. Another change was made in 1842, vrhen it was moved to the corner of Hill Rise, on the death of James Etherington, being again transferred to 18 and 19, Hill Street. At that time the style of the business was altered to Etherington and Son, the late Mr. Etherington dying in 1904. It is now carried on by Mr, E. D, Etherington, and is an exceedingly prosperous business, Etherington's pianos being widely advertised and justly popular.

(James Etherington was my Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandfather)
keys1205

Etherington

Post by keys1205 »

Thank you for providing this information. Did the firm actually make pianos or just sell them?
malco

Post by malco »

I always understood that the firm actually made pianos although I have not found any actual evidence of this so far. My father had a collection of piano making tools and bits and pieces, but these could possibly have just been for repairs.
emonroe1111

Re: Etherington / Skivington

Post by emonroe1111 »

Hello. My grandmother has a Collard and Collard serial # 12683 with Etherington and Sons # 110473...square tail grand piano, it looks like burl rosewood? Do you have information on this one?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you have a look at my Numbers page at http://www.pianohistory.info you will see that the published numbers for many Collard pianos are a complete nonsense, and 12683 is not easy to date You seem to be saying that the larger number is related to Etheringtons?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Martin Herrema

Post by Martin Herrema »

Hi,

I'm researching the history of a Etherington piano and came across this old discussion.

Is Malcolm Etherington out there and still interested in photographs etc? If so, please email me at Martin.herrema@gmail.com.

Regards,
Martin
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Most of them are covered the general information on my Edwardian page at pianohistory.info and there is still no evidence that Etheringtons ever made pianos, they were retailers.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.