Hutchinson Pianos

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

roymck

Hutchinson Pianos

Post by roymck »

My Great Grandfather William Hutchinson worked with his brother Thomas Hutchinson as Piano makers at 1 Clarence Place Newport Monmouthshire according to the 1891 and 1901 Census and probably later . William left to work in a Piano factory in Ontario about 1909 leaving Thomas to carry on business on his own . I have been told Thomas Patented the Invisible frame (What does that mean) .
Has any one heard of Hutchinson pianos ,ive searched the internet and drawn a blank . Any body help me
Thanks Roy
Bill Kibby

Re: Hutchinson Pianos

Post by Bill Kibby »

The "invisible" frame was a somewhat fancy way of saying that if you look into the top of an upright piano, you couldn't easily see it, although I have never understood why he wanted to hide iron frames, when others were shouting loudly about the advantages of them! Email me for a picture. Incidentally, if they were listed on the census as pianoforte makers, they were probably employees at a factory, rather than being in business themselves, so the address is probably their home. Employees were usually listed as "pianoforte manufacturer". As far as I am aware, there were no Hutchinson pianos, only frames that they sold to the trade. Hutchinson also made a barless frame, which seems to have pre-dated Broadwoods' more famous one.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
millo1953

Post by millo1953 »

Hi Roy, I assume we are related?
My name is David Millington, my mother is Mary Denise Hutchinson, her father Thomas William Henry Havelock Hutchinson, his father was William Henry Hutchinson. I have a brochure of the Hutchinson piano dating about 1914, London. My email is millo1953@hotmail.com
Regards
roymck

Post by roymck »

Hi David , sent you a email to make contact . Roy