H.Wolfframm, Dresden piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

alisonb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

H.Wolfframm, Dresden piano

Post by alisonb »

Hello. We have had a Wolframm grand in our family for about 60 years. It is a lovely instrument but I am struggling to find any information about the company, or anywhere where I can use the serial number to date it. It had a disk on the lid saying 'three part lid patent 1915'. I would love to know more. Anyone know anything about these pianos? Thankyou.
Bill Kibby

Re: wolframm piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

The three-part lid was invented by the retailer Archibald Ramsden, and he adapted many different grands so that the music desk could be up, while the sections either side were closed, doing away with "that awkward corner" where the lid usually sticks out over the curve of the grand. As for Wolframm, no dates are published, all I can tell you is that #18900 H. Wolffram, Dresden piano was made around 1910.

What is the serial number of yours?

Does it say "Dresden" on the piano?

If you know how to remove the action safely, (the working parts of the notes) it may be marked with the action makers' name and number, and we may be able to date this.

Would you please let me know the exact spelling of the name, there are several versions.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
alisonb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alisonb »

Thanks. As the piano is actually my mums and at her house, I can't get the serial number immediately, although I'll ask her when I phone her later. It was retailed originally from Ramsdens as his name is on the piano, so what you say about the lid is interesting. Never seen such a lid on any other pianos I've seen. It is a medium sized grand, I seem to think it's a similar length to my height (5'8''). I will get back to you regarding that number.
alisonb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alisonb »

I forgot, yes it does say Dresden (all this is inside the piano, it has 'specially made for Archibald Ramsden London' on the front). It also has some plates referring to expositions on the inside. Will get more info and get back to you.
alisonb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alisonb »

Ok,got some more information. The serial number is 13823. The name is spelt H. Wolfframm, but it also has the names Magazin & Contor in smaller type underneath. It also says I Preis Gorlitz 1885. Any of this any help?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

No dates of Wolfframm's numbers are published, all this tells me is that it was before 1910. Wolfframm received a medal in an exhibition at Gorlitz, and this is mentioned on your piano, so it was made after that exhibition. He also received one in Melbourne, 1889, so the fact that it is not shown on the piano may suggest that the piano was made between those two exhibitions. "Magazin" was a German word for a shop, like the French "magasin", but this one appears to be a retailer's name.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
alisonb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: H.Wolfframm, Dresden piano

Post by alisonb »

Thanks Bill. looks like the piano is older than we thought, I was originally thinking around 1915. I'm confused now with the three part lid as it says patented 1915 on it. This doesn't tally with the likely age of the piano. Also, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has or knows anything about these pianos. This is a lovely instrument with a good touch and tone and I would be keen to hear of what the general concensus is of the quality of these pianos.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I did say "may suggest". It could have been secondhand when the top was altered, it seems surprising that they did not mention the more recent, more famous Melbourne Exhibition if it was made after 1915. Remember that I have no idea what it looks like.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
alisonb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alisonb »

Ok, I've got the age of the piano now (and it does have the melbourne medal when I asked my mum). It is 1898. Contacted someone from pianoworld who researches piano ages. So it wasn't circa 1915, which when I thought about it was highly unlikely given the period in history. It doesn't look like a newer lid so I'm still confused regarding the lid. Was the three part lid in use for several years prior to patenting? Anyway, thanks for all your help Bill.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I can sleep tonight knowing that the medals are there, and in sequence. You seem very definite about the date. The splitting of the "lid" does not require much more than two cuts, so it would be the original, but presumably done after the 1915 patent. We have no references so far to earlier use of the idea.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Mine

Post by Mine »

Hi,

I need advice for my H.Wolfframm - Dresden upright. The serial number is 19982 and I believe it was purchased between 1914 and 1918. I had the piano restored about 20 years ago, and shipped it to the US around 10 years ago. Over time the touch got incredibly softer and it does not feel right at all when you play. I am looking at alternatives. Does anyone know whether these are high quality piano's where restoration is a viable option? It is beautiful, black satin matte finish, original ivory keys, ebony furniture and has a really nice sound. It holds the tune ok, did not get horrible in a few years.

How much is the piano worth -- not that I intend to sell it, but it will help me to make a good decision. Is the touch getting softer over years a common problem that can be fixed? How much should I consider paying for it, and is it really worth the effort and money. Even though I love the piano I would like to make a sound decision.

I appreciate any help. I have pictures of the piano if that helps.

Thanks,
Mine
Mine
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Nobody can guess the value or condition of a piano without tuning it.
No generalisations are possible. Ask your tuner, who can also advise
you about what needs doing, and how much it will cost.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Sundukov

Post by Sundukov »

Hi Bill, I wished to ask you, how many years of the piano, H.Wolfframm-Dresden? The color is black, number on a back side 19133
My names is Anton and i'm live Moscow, Russia.
Thank you for your answer
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

If your only problem is that it is getting soft it is probably overdue for voicing (assuming it was last done 20 years ago as you describe) which is just a routine maintenance task whereby the hammers are flattened and hardened again.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

As I said before "As for Wolframm, no dates are published, all I can tell you is that #18900 H. Wolffram, Dresden piano was made around 1910".
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Sundukov

Post by Sundukov »

Ok :) thank you
Emiri

Post by Emiri »

Hello.
I'm going to buy a piano, it has "Apollo Dresden" written on it. I'd like to know when it was made. But the only thing I know it's a number, 3564 and I believe it's the serial number. If it helps, it's black and has some medals on it, and two pedals.
Thank you very much.
Bill Kibby

Apollo, Dresden piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you want the best chance of a response to this posting, you should do it again as a NEW TOPIC, because it has nothing to do with Wolfframm.

Apollo, the greek god of archery, prophecy and music is a popular choice for use in names of pianos, shops, factories, etc.. I have no record of a real maker by this name in Dresden, but there were many "Apollo pianos. If you can read years on the medals, the piano will have been made after the last one.

Any clues will be inside, so have a look at pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Emiri

Post by Emiri »

Ok, thank you very much.