Blunther

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Blunther

Post by lpt100 »

Hiya, i had a very fortunate opertunity to play a Blunther Leipzig grand today at a country house. It wasn't in very good shape being out of tune nd with some keys sticking and even not working. The piano was donated to the natural trust and they arn;'t alowed to sell it on, unfortunately it seems this piano will die as they lack the funds to look after it properly andjust leave it 'on show'. I would nbe interested if you could give me some infomation about it? Julis Blunther, Leipzig C1 '120445', it also tells me that it was sold by harrods and its transaction number is/was 52818. Any info would be greatly appreciated :)ooo and whats the best way to preserve ivory keys? to prevent yellowing? :?:
The pianoforte is to music what print is to poetry.
Bill Kibby

Bluthner from Harrods

Post by Bill Kibby »

The name is Bluthner, one of the most famous piano makers ever. You can't "preserve" ivory, but don't listen to the old wives' tale about using milk. Various cleaning agents can be used, but the piano trade suppliers have special key cleaning pastes and liquids. The piano was probably made in 1935, Harrods sold it in the early 1950s.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blunther

Post by Barrie Heaton »

lpt100 wrote:whats the best way to preserve ivory keys? to prevent yellowing? :?:

Sunlight see one of my other sites However, best done by some who knows what they are doing

www.acrylikey.co.uk

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

thank

Post by lpt100 »

hanks you that was usefull, :oops: appologies about the miss-spelling :oops:
The pianoforte is to music what print is to poetry.
Bill Kibby

Bluthner

Post by Bill Kibby »

I chose my words carefully, sunlight doesn't preserve ivory, and it doesn't prevent yellowing, although keeping the keyboard open to daylight may help.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info