Haake piano #3246

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

phillip kemp

Haake piano #3246

Post by phillip kemp »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have just bought an upright when I lifted the keyboard front cover it has a name E. F. Anderton & Co, New York and the date 1862 and just above the key it says 'The Steinway Model'. I was cleaning it when I noticed that under the transfer for Anderton & Co, (which I now presume is the retailer) there is a raised embossed name in fancy writing Haake under the transfer and inside on the treble board is the number 3246. So I am assuming it is a Haake and I think It is an early one. It has 2 Pairs of original brass candle holders and in the centre of them is a round embossed brass inlay of a ladies head with laurel leafs around the edge. The piano is made of Walnut, and I would like to know how old it is.
Regards Phil.
Bill Kibby

Haake / Anderton

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'm amazed if they got away with calling it a Steinway model! This seems to be a Haake piano, and they were around until the twenties. The reference to 1862 may be an exhibition medal, I don't know, but it shows the piano was made at some time after that date. No details of their serial numbers are publsihed, but one with a similar number is thought to have been made around 1900. What exactly does it say about 1862?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
phillip kemp

Re: Haake / Anderton

Post by phillip kemp »

Hi on the transfer it has two round gold medals the one to the left shows a man and a woman presenting somthing to a person seated. then the name E. F. Anderton & Co, New York. And the one on the right says 1862 Londini Honoris causa. I hope this helps.
Regards Phil.
Bill Kibby

Haake

Post by Bill Kibby »

This represents both sides of a medal from the London Exhibition, 1862, and shows that the piano was made after that event. I imagine it refers to Haake receiving the medal, Anderton would be the retailer. Have a look at the Medals info at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
kerryjoyk

Re: Haake piano #3246

Post by kerryjoyk »

https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-foru ... ew&id=3919

Hi Phil, I am writing a paper on my great grandmother's Haake piano and found this forum in the internet archive. I have attached a photo for you to see as I wonder if it is the same as the one you purchased back in 2008? My great grandmother purchased it in Adelaide, South Australia in the late 1800's and it has eventually found its way to me. I am struggling to find any historical information on the piano or the maker Karl Haake. So I was wondering if you were successful in finding out how old your piano is?
Regards, Kerry
Attachments
Haake piano 2.jpg
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »

kerryjoyk

Post by kerryjoyk »

Thanks so much Dieter, lots of great information in that! Windows translated it into English for me easily.