Stohlman, New York

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

RagtimeMax

Stohlman, New York

Post by RagtimeMax »

Hi everybody, this is my first post. I've been trying to find out the actual maker of an old stencil upright I have, and use for gigging, and was wondering if anybody could be of assistance. These are all the details I could possibly find from the piano: Fallboard:

STOHLMAN
N e w Y o r k

(On a seperate little decal, that appears to be the same age:) Sold by the Miller Bros. Music Store, Charlottetown P. E. I researched the Miller Bros. store, and it indeed was a piano store in the 1910s, not even a 5 minute walk from my house. The serial is 4488. The piano itself is an average quality, full-size upright. Stamped on the back of the main action rail is the date "December 23, 1915". Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Max Keenlyside
(Ragtime pianist,composer, and arranger, and co-founder of the Authentic Ragtime Company.)
Bill Kibby

Stohlman

Post by Bill Kibby »

You seem convinced that this is not the real name, but don't say why. I have no information about Stohlman, except a reference to the name in the Pierce Piano Atlas: It is amazing to me that Michel bothered to write down the name, but nothing else. It is pointless to publish a name with no other information. Somebody said there is a Stohlman in the Smithsonian, but I have no record of it.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Stohlman does not turn up in Presto, Dolge, or any lists of piano makers, nor as a known player-piano. Look inside to see if the is any attribution on the cast-iron frame or on the underside of the lid itself. At least you have added one datum to the record; Pierce (Michael's) does not even mention New York.
RagtimeMax

Post by RagtimeMax »

Hi again.
Thanks for your input, Bill and Tom.

There are a couple reasons I believe it is a stencil. There is almost no other identifying information on it, other than what's on the fallboard. The exceptions are the serial, (4488), stamped in the usual cutout of the plate, and the date "December 23, 1915" stamped on the back of the main action assembly. Also, I do realise that the piano is fairly insignificant, especially trying to find the original maker. It's just nice to have a little more perspective on it, by knowing what company it was actually made by.
Many thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward to seeing if anybody else has anything to add.
Max.
Max Keenlyside
(Ragtime pianist,composer, and arranger, and co-founder of the Authentic Ragtime Company.)