Erard Registry - seeking Jay

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Susan Adams

Erard Registry - seeking Jay

Post by Susan Adams »

Hi All; I received a phone call from a scholar and pianist in Paris who is researching the dating procedure of 19th century Erards. I own a restored London Erard concert grand (which is for sale - see www.earlymusicstudio.com - I live in British Columbia) and he was asking about the dating. I have a fairly reliable date of 1873 from the serial number: 14011. He had an inkling that is might be one year earlier, and wanted me to look at the action for a date. Unfortunately my spam filter filtered his message and I have no way to contact him. Does anyone out there know Jay and his registry research?
Clive Timuss
www.earlymusicstudio.com
early music downloads and CDs
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

Hi

Speak to Richard at Piano Auctions Ltd, Jay and his business partner know them well.

D
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

According to my 'Pierce Piano Atlas', your Erard was made in 1838 (assuming that your serial number is correct).

Erards made in the 1870's started with serial number 43***.
Bill Kibby

Jay

Post by Bill Kibby »

Quoting the published numbers from Pierce is completely misleading, because the London ones were different, see my Numbers page at www.PianoGen.org

Jay is researching with the original Paris archive books, it was I who first published dates of Erards' London numbers in Musicians' Piano Atlas 25 years ago, although the list has been improved now. This one suggests about 1874, but the year should be marked on the left end of the action. I would be grateful if you would let me know what year that is.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info