British Stelzner upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

owlpages

British Stelzner upright

Post by owlpages »

Hi folks, greetings from the land downunder. I have been asked by my dear Mother to research her Stelzner piano, which she is considering parting with (would be a shame really). I have trawled the internet with no luck regarding this, so i'm hoping some kind and knowledgeable soul here can steer me in the right direction.

Photos are below. the piano was old when purchased by my parents in 1973. It has a Schwander action (is that the right word?), and has a stamped serial number 56757 , then below, 50136

And here it is 'naked'

Thanks so much...
Deane.
Bill Kibby

Stelzner

Post by Bill Kibby »

My active research is aimed at antique British pianos, so anything else that arrives is a matter of luck. All I can say is that the piano has the appearance of something from the fifties. Have a look at the Datemarks page at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
owlpages

Post by owlpages »

G'day Bill, thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll have a look at those pages. This is a great resource you have here...
Stelzner WA

Re: British Stelzner upright

Post by Stelzner WA »

Hi Bill and Deane, I too have a Stelzner Cameo piano with no history serial number is K87461. We were told it was passed down through a Western Australian family who's Grandmother owned it in Kalgoorlie she originally came from the East coast and was a British settler. On the frame it looks like it says British made. There is an inscription on the inner part of the timber please see pictures attached, looks like it's been signed with the year 1918? I would love to know a little more about these types of piano. Deane did you have any luck in your search? Regard ilona
Attachments
20200725_093123.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number preceded by K indicates that it was made by Kemble, London in 1951. This style resembling the front of a grand was popular then.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
owlpages

Post by owlpages »

Hi Ilona, we didn't have much luck with the piano. We tried to sell it but there was no interest, so my mother still has it. What is really interesting is that I was born in Kalgoorlie! However, my parents acquired the piano long after they left WA and settled on the East coast of Australia.