Dunham Square Grand

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

teg

Dunham Square Grand

Post by teg »

The square grand piano that I have says Dunham, New York on the center plate...and off to the far left, it states Jas Williams & Co., Richmond. I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this type of piano It's a beautiful piano and the legs are extraordinary. Well, let me start off with this information to see if anyone has ever heard of it. If anyone could help me, that would be great and I could provide more information at that time...Thanks Teresa
Bill Kibby

Dunham

Post by Bill Kibby »

Unfortunately, the published information is conflicting, even within a single book, and the later "Dunham" pianos were not by the original maker, but presumably a Dunham square would be earlier than 1867. Could you email me some photos? Is there any more information such as an address or forename? And is "Square Grand" your own term, or does it appear on the piano?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
km8x

Re: Dunham Square Grand

Post by km8x »

Hi
I am a new member. I live in USA / Virginia.
I found a really nice Dunham square grand piano for free. The plate says JB Dunham and believe it to be 1850s - 1860s. It has plain octagonal legs. Unfortunately, it has 5 silent keys. This beauty was in the family for at least 125 yrs and now the family wants to part with "her". Just curious what members think about these old pianos.
Bill Kibby

Re: Dunham Square Grand

Post by Bill Kibby »

1867 Dunham's son John B. Dunham junior joined, and the firm became Dunham & Son, 111 East 13th

To many people, a piano is a musical instrument, and if it does not conform to modern specifications, they don't want to know. I am a piano historian, and anxious to conserve early pianos. My own website attracts hundreds of people around the world every day, searching for information about their pianos.
Because of lack of funding or sponsorship, my active research is limited to England, but I collect any kind of information on any pianos.
My own time-line of over fifty pianos ranging from Georgian to modern includes some that will never work, but are nevertheless displayed as part of history.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info