Gebr. KNAKE - Grand piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Carine

Gebr. KNAKE - Grand piano

Post by Carine »

I would like to know more about the criteria on the purchase of an antique piano.

I am interested in a ‘Gebruder Knake’ piano which has to be reconditioned (restored where necessary and covered by a warrantee) by a tuner;
this black piano with two-piece ivory keys, in a quite good state for its age, should be approx. 85 years old, as the leg style seems to be German Art Nouveau (or even older?).
The shape of the piano case is ROUND at the back, which means that it does not have the S shape on one side. I did not know this kind of shape and would like to know if the influences on the sound.
The case is in good condition, but will be handpolished, semi-polish.
The whole interior of the piano (clean white hammers, iron frame, wooden support of the tuning pins) seems to be in good condition. While not being used, a good full sound from low to high tones.

My only hesitation is a minor split all along the wooden part (the bottom of the piano, I suppose this is called the soundboard) underneath the ‘iron’ frame and strings, which seems not a problem to the tuner who will repair this.

The piano can be delivered by the tuner in three months' time.
The price has been discussed. Moreover there is a ten years’ guarantee on all pianos, which gives of a kind trust and security.
As to be delivered in a perfect condition, following reconditioning will be done:

- a whole check-up and cleaning will be done.
INTERIOR (reconditioned)
- cleaned
- repinning, restringing (half) : tuned to 1 = 440 Hz (C = 523.3 Hz)
- repaired to enable all the notes and pedals to function in first-class working order
- all worn and defective parts either replaced or professionally repairerd, rebuilt and regulated.

EXTERIOR (renovated)
- Keyboard: cleaned, repolished + at least 3 ivory keys recovered
- Backing cloth replaced
- Pedals: cleaned, cloth replaced
- although they seem to be in good condition: high tone strings and all tuning pins will be replaced. Unfortunately I do not remember if it is straightstrung or overstrung.

I am quite interesting in purchasing this piano but I would like to have some advice. Of course, this piano is meant to be played for a long time, and not to be kept as an antiquity in the dining room.

Your comments would be mostly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your advice.
Carine
Please do not send private messages
I prefer to check the forum. Thnx.
Bill Kibby

Knake

Post by Bill Kibby »

Firstly, I would never advise anyone to buy a piano on a promise of what it might be like when restored. Let THEM restore it, then decide whether it is what you want BEFORE you part with the money. Knake was established in 1808, so it could be very old,and no serial number dates are available. I don't follow what you are saying about the tail being round, they usually are, do you mean the "fishtail" curved with an angular join to the longer bentside? The shape is less important than the area of the soundboard it produces. Split soundboards can be a major problem, is this tuner the same one who is selling it to you?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info