What were the cases of a Broadwood pianos made of in 1817

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

micheleyoung

What were the cases of a Broadwood pianos made of in 1817

Post by micheleyoung »

Hi,
I hope this is not seen as a frivolous question.
I am writing a historical novel and my hero purchases a Broadwood piano (thanks so much for all the wonderful detail on your site by the way).
If I were to describe such a piano, what wood would be typical of 1817? Black? Brown? Type
I had a fancy for cherry wood, because it has a nice sound (language) to it. But I want to be accurate.
Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
Michele Young
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Well in 1817 it would probably be Mahogany with walnut inlay the reason is that is was cheep because Mahogany was used as ballast on ships returning from the far east so it was plentifully, the piano would have been a square piano the compass will have been 5 octave F to F

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Broadwood

Post by Bill Kibby »

Why would it be a square? It might be a 6-octave grand like Beethoven's 1818 model, or a tall cabinet piano like the 1817 one on the watermark of my website, depending on what suits the story!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
micheleyoung

Broadwood

Post by micheleyoung »

Hi,
You guys are great. I would really like it to be a grand, your history indicated they started making them around this time? I can go with mahogany and walnut inlay, but did they ever make them out of anything other than mahogany? Did the type of wood have any impact on the sound? Not that it particularly matters for the story, I was just curious.
Michele Young
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I hope your hero was well off as grands were not cheep

A grand dated 1812 Serial number 5835 compass 6 octave C to C, Length 249 “
Spanish Mahanoy with boxwood inlayed stringing and crossovers with figured maple keyboard

A grand dated 1817 Serial number 7023 compass 6 octave C to C, Length 249 “ Rosewood with boxwood inlays with carved edges and brass handles, Greek cross decoration on the cheeks 2 pedals. Present owners live in the USA

Bill may have some prices to hand I would have to dig

Yes the rim of the piano is important the harder the wood the better today good makes tend to use lamented maple Broadwoods used oak with the veneer on top

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
micheleyoung

1817 Broadwood Pianos

Post by micheleyoung »

Thanks Barry,
Very informative. They do say, ask an expert. One last question about the keys, you indicate a figured maple keyboard, and I know I'm showing my ignorance for which I apologise. (My kids took the lessons, not me we have an ancient Heintzman upright)
Anyway the question is, would the "key board" be different from the keys and would the keys be made of ivory or were they maple?
Michele Young
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Keyboard - keys are the same thing the tops are ivory the fronts are maple inserts, the maple will have been carved into steps just pure decoration

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
micheleyoung

Broadwood Pianos

Post by micheleyoung »

Dear Barrie,
OK, thanks so much for your information and your help. I think that covers what I need for now. If my book is published, I will ensure that you are credited.
Cheers, from Michele in Toronto who has snow up the -- well you know -- but the sun is shining and the sky is blue.

:lol: Michele
Michele Young