G.Ehrbar Berlin piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

mmoore

G.Ehrbar Berlin piano

Post by mmoore »

My upright piano has "G Ehrbar" "Berlin" on the name plate. The piano is very old. I can't find any info except F Ehrbar of Austria. Can anyone tell me anything about this pianomaker?
Thanks
Mereana
Bill Kibby

Ehrbar

Post by Bill Kibby »

Ignoring the Viennese firm, I used to tune an Ehbar (Berlin) piano, but was unable to find anything in my files, so although it was genuinely german, it may have been an alias. See Booklets\Aliases on the PianoGen website. The item there on Numbers may also help if the piano's action has a maker's name and number.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
mmoore

Post by mmoore »

Thanks Bill,
There is a number, 1955, stamped at the top right of the sound board. The piano is burr walnut with ornate scroll legs and inlaid patterns on the top. It has had candle sconces. And it has well worn ivory keys. I can't check anything else at the moment, but have been reading your articles this evening ( it's 11pm here!) and will examine the piano very carefully. It is a truly beautiful thing and I just fell in love with it. I can't play but I think it might be time to learn! Thanks again - I'll be back.
Mereana
from New Zealand
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I notice that I mis-typed the spelling, I did mean Ehrbar. Numbers are no help as far as this make is concerned, only if they are the action maker's name and number.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
mmoore

Post by mmoore »

Hi again, Bill.
The number 1955, is also handwritten on the underside of the keyboard and the edge of the bottom door. I can't find anything else at the moment because it's all dark and horrible in there! But, I have worked out that the piano is straight strung and over damped. I now think it may be figured walnut, and the carved patterns are very intricate but no gold leaf. The scroll legs are similar to a picture I have seen on a french (Pfeiffer?) piano c1880. There is a partial iron frame (rt hand side) but I can't see any markings. Can't find any markings on the keys. All the keys work and I am going to get the piano tuned (or attempt to!) shortly. So, maybe that will turn up something else. Would it be useful if I sent photos?
Regards
Mereana
Bill Kibby

Ehrbar

Post by Bill Kibby »

Numbers are no help with this name. The one I saw years ago was also around the 1880s, but unless there are datemarks inside, the only thing I could do is compile a report on design and approximate age from photos. It would be interesting to see pictures anyway, to my email address, especially interior details. As for tuning, if you'd like to pay the fare from Lowestoft, I'll pop round and do it for you!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.