Kessels, Tilburg Holland

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

headon

Kessels, Tilburg Holland

Post by headon »

We are currently living in Australia and have just purchased a second hand piano.

I have read your input regarding someone elses Kessels and was hoping you could tell us a little about the history of ours!

On the top underside of the lid is has KESSELS inscribed and;
Inside above the strings it has a plaque on the top write hand corner which has 'Royal Dutch Piano works Tilburg Holland " embossed into it.

There was obviously another plaque on the left hand side which probably had the date ? shape of a royal crown? but has sadly been removed!

Looking forward to any feed back you may have!
Belinda
Yvette1968

Re: kessels

Post by Yvette1968 »

I have been reading for a while on this forum now, searching for more info on my Kessels piano. I live in Holland and got my self a M.J.H. Kessels piano a few weeks ago. I found the following link I would like to share with you it is in english:

http://www.muziekinstrumentenmuseum.nl/ ... t=22&mit=1

I have heard that Kessels is a German piano, but the Kessels I have got was made in Tilburg, Holland by M.J.H. Kessels. It was the bigest music instrument factory of europe at the time. M.J.H. Kessels also uso to write music. Most of the pianos they made were exported to the UK.
In Tilburg there is a museum showing al the instruments that were made by Kessels.

Kind regards,
Yvette
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

There seem to have been three separate piano firms named Kessels, based in London, Germany and Holland.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
John Smit

Post by John Smit »

I can hardly believe that there were three firms, at least not three factories. Kessels built his instruments only in the Netherlands as far as I know. He was the biggest employer in Tilburg, with a couple of hundreds of employees. Kessels exported his pianos all over the world, but mainly to the United Kingdom.
Unfortunately his importer was a very bad payer, and it almost bankrupted Kessels around 1914. So there still must be a lot of instruments in your country.
Besides a composer and conducter Kessels was a huge publisher of mainly band music. All instruments were produced in his factory, from wind, brass to strings.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Never ever come across one in70 years
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
MatiasBM

Re: Kessels, Tilburg Holland

Post by MatiasBM »

Hello, I was looking for the history of my piano, and I have read your input which is the same description:
Inside above the strings the same Royal Dutch Piano Works Tilburg Holland, embossed and mine has the plaque wich is The Netherlands National Coat of arms with the "Je Maintiendrai" legend below.
But the difference with your description is that on the top underside of the lid it says Kon. Ned. Pianofabriek Tilburg. Which means Royal Dutch Piano Works again. So no mention to Kessels...but for the description seems to be the same.
I'm from Argentina and live in Buenos Aires.