Cable Co. of Chicago - Miniature Upright??

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Kurious Kanuk

Cable Co. of Chicago - Miniature Upright??

Post by Kurious Kanuk »

First off:

WOW! I am really impressed with all of the info encompassed by this site as well as all of the helpful links to other information provided. This place may originate in the UK, but everone here seems to really know their stuff when it comes to makes and models of pianos manufactured around the world!

It was actually a pleasure reading the responses to queries posted on the boards, and realizing that helpful answers were being given in response (this has not been my experience elsewhere!). Hats off to the web-master and all of you that continue to make this site the obvious on-going succes it is!

And now to the fun part:

As a recent afficionado of piano restoration -
I am now the proud owner of what I believe to be a Cable Company Miniature Upright piano. It measures approximately 4 1/2 feet in length and about 3 1/2 feet in height. I have been unable to find the serial number (starting with a '6') anywhere on the net or in the local library which sadly, is rather sparse on piano reference works!

As knowledgeable as everyone here seems to be - if I provide pictures of the works and casement, the exact measurements, and the full serial number - do you think someone could tell me what year it was manufactured, and possibly how many were made that year? If not I would very much appreciate any help on where to find such information. This seems to me to be a sweet sounding instrument that probably deserves to look as beautiful as its voice, but I need to know if it is worth the extra effort to do a GREAT job on it - or just a GOOD job in order to re-sell it and put the extra energy into buying and restoring a better piano??

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cable Co. of Chicago - Miniature Upright??

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Kurious Kanuk wrote: As a recent afficionado of piano restoration -
I am now the proud owner of what I believe to be a Cable Company Miniature Upright piano. It measures approximately 4 1/2 feet in length and about 3 1/2 feet in height. I have been unable to find the serial number (starting with a '6') anywhere on the net or in the local library which sadly, is rather sparse on piano reference works!

Andrew
Thanks for the kind comments

Do you have the serial number.

If the serial number begins with a 6 and the number is a 4 digit number, then it is pre 1890. If is a 5 digit number, then it will be 1905. According to the published numbers.

for some history see
http://www.sbcchoir.homestead.com/Baby_ ... nInfo.html
and
http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/kron3.htm

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Kurious Kanuk

Cable Company of Chicago - Upright Piano

Post by Kurious Kanuk »

Well, huge thanx to Barrie for the help so far. I have since determined the exact size of this piano, it is:

58 Inches in Length
27 Inches in Width
54 Inches in Height

And the Serial Number is:

:oops: I guess my bi-focals weren't operating so well that first day I looked at it in the basement of the home where I purchased it. :shock: It DOES seem smaller than most of the uprights I have come across in my admittedly limited experience with such things!

In either case, from Barries' information regarding the serial number this lovely piece was manufactured in 1905?? (5 digits and starting with a 6).

Is there ANY way for me to find out how many of these were made in that year? I am almost certain I will be restoring this piano, and those numbers would help me determine if it is worth having it professionally appraised both before and after I do so.

Regards,
Andrew
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Well in 1904 the serial numbers started at 50000 in 1905 65000 and 1906 - 80000 so from that you could say they were producing 1500 pianos a year. However, how many of those were the small pianos, one would have to see production records to know that number.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm too much, small pianos don’t restore well the sound boards don’t hold up as well as large pianos – Your local rebuilder will advise I would get at lest 3 quotes and ask may questions on what you are getting for your money and then get it in writing.

There will be a day that there will be few of the Cable Miniature pianos and they could become a collectors piece. The Art deco versions of mini pianos in the UK are becoming more sort after and are a little more expense than the normal ones.

Have a nice Xmas

Regards

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page