The P-S O in "The Piano"

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

The P-S O in "The Piano"

Post by Tom Tuner »

I reluctantly post this lest it be considered too trivial or frivolous for consideration, but it bothers me and is no worse than questions I see in other forums. Can anyone identify the piano-shaped object in the film "The Piano"? My references on English square pianos do not run much beyond about 1800 and this is clearly from at least 1860 or later. By looking at frames picked off a DVD of the film I have determined a number of possibly identifying characteristics. But I still can't read the name badge!
I expect to be told that it's a fake built by the props department, or else that "everyone knows what that is."

Tom Tuner
Bill Kibby

The piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

I've been wondering about it, but have yet to see a really clear still of the instrument. I have to admit at this point that I have no idea what you're on about with the "P-S-O" thing. Anyway, who says it was English? I had assumed that it looked American, but never really developed enough enthusiasm to see the film, so what do I know?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

PSO

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sorry about that, I must be more awake today, I spend a lot of my life around PSOs so I should have worked it out. Certainly, some struggle to be defined as pianos, so I shall remember the term, and will use it frequently! Do you have a clear picture of the offending object that you could email to me?
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 02 Mar 2007, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I seem to remember it as being a Broadwood square, but couldn't bear to watch much of the film as the music GOT ON MY NERVES. I just remember seeing it being stood in sea-water up to its ankles and thinking
'I'm glad that ent on MY round...' before I turned over to the Magic Roundabout...
Bill Kibby

PSO

Post by Bill Kibby »

If pushed, I would guess at a Wornum Albion, I've certainly never seen a Broadwood square with a keyboard all the way across, and a fall cheeks like a later grand. More likely, it's MDF with B&Q legs and braaan paint.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Too wide, not deep enough and too rectangular for an Albion.

I reckon it's a bitsa, but at some point in the film, an old blind tuner sniffs a key and pronounces it to be a Broadwood belonging to a woman. I never liked the implication therein that piano tuners are a bit pervy!

I agree with Gill though. The music is repetitive tosh. A bit like that idiot Einaudi who's making bigger idiots of the people who pay him loads of money for old rope that a GCSE student could come up with.
Bill Kibby

Straying slightly

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't mean the Albion grand, I mean the rectangular one, they do tend to be more rectangular than the ones that aren't rectangular. No doubt the Broadwood bit was written in the original text, and they hadn't got a Broadwood handy. Well, there aren't many about are there? Or perhaps they couldn't find anyone fool enough to allow it on the beach?

Yes, I'd go along with that last bit, I find it extremely frustrating that someone can make so much money on a piano which seems devoid of black notes, not to mention playing well-known tunes wrongly. But then I complained about Bert Weedon making money twanging on one string when I first played guitar... And he moaned about Cliff Richard only playing three chords! The thought of Bert's idea of "I got rhythm" played on one string makes me cringe. But I digress!

Whose music was it anyway?
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 25 Apr 2007, 09:05, edited 3 times in total.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I know what you mean about Bert Weedon...can't wait for "Play in a Day the Einaudi Way" to be published. Thought to be honest half an hour would just about do it...
Bill Kibby

P-S O

Post by Bill Kibby »

Frivalous I know, but can one really define that thing as a P-S O when it doesn't actually appear to be shaped like any piano we know of? Certainly, if I were making a film prominently featuring a piano made by an existing company, I would have consulted them about how it should look!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

The oddness of the thing is what caught my eye. At first glance it appeared that the keyboard was protruding from the case, whereas the sides of the cabinet are cut down, possibly to mimic a grand. Looks as though it has a severe case of overbite. The angular lettering on the name badge does not appear to read "John Broadwood & Son," but I can't really tell. I'll send some frame clips later.

A p-s o is a box that externally resembles a piano, and may well have been intended by its maker to be sold as a piano, but which fails of functioning as an actual piano either through defects in design or construction, or by having lost all virtue as a musical insrument through age or neglect. It looks like one but isn't really.

Tom Tuner
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What, like a Lindner, you mean...? :roll:
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

A Lindner/Renner would be a fair example. Are any parts available for these? I can repair the keys, but my attempts to make replacement flanges have not been altogether a success.

I was in error in my last previous statement. There is one brief shot in which the camera angle is such that the name can be made out. And it is John Broadwood & Sons - London. This is the most peculiar square piano I have ever encountered or seen depicted. The velvet-backed trim panels seem to have been borrowed from an American parlour organ. Is it possible this was made for export, perhaps to Persia or India?

Tom Tuner
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Of course I meant Rippen not Renner!

TT
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

HAH! Broadwood!!! So I was right for once...I must go and write that down somewhere...
Bill Kibby

Props

Post by Bill Kibby »

Have you tried googling for props piano?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

I had thought of that 'cause it looks so odd and never has any pedals, even when the camera is on the pianist's feet. But with the actual English square piano action, dampers, iron frame, it seems too elaborate for the props department to have gone to the trouble to dummy up. What are squares selling for these days anyway?

Tom Tuner
Bill Kibby

Squares

Post by Bill Kibby »

Abourt nought to eight thousand pounds depending. (Roughly.) I missed one recently which was withdrawn because no-one wanted to bid a fiver!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Bill Kibby

Re: The P-S O in "The Piano"

Post by Bill Kibby »

Just got the free DVD of "The Piano", and watched a bit of it. The "instrument" in question sounds like a decent grand, has an authentic looking nameboard, but looks nothing like Broadwood square! We even see shots of the hammers rising to strike strings, the dampers look like nothing I remember seeing in a Broadwood. I don't see any shots which connect the inside to the outside. More thrilling instalments when I have the time to watch it properly. P.S. I think Einaudi must have written the music, there don't seem to be any black notes!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Close, but no cigar. The music is Michael Nyman at his most turgid...teenagers love the music and if I have to move an Einaudi book to tune a piano, you can bet 'The Piano' won't be far behind....ZZZZzzzzzzz...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

If you had to move an Einaudi book to tune a piano you might as well only tune about 10 strings as they won't be using the rest!
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I know that anyone who studies a subject in depth is always going to be picky, and it's a pointless excercise examining it all, but it fascinates me that in an age when so much science and history goes into researching films, someone who was making a film which has a Broadwood square piano as its centrepiece couldn't be bothered to take the simple step of looking at a Broadwood square piano on the internet, to see what it should look like! What we seem to end up with is a grand with its tail end hidden, and an authentic-looking name label, but the fall ridiculously disguised to look as if it has a large, ugly fret in it, and the cheeks made enormously fat, so that they hide the notes a square piano shouldn't have. Then, the top notes are covered or removed, leaving something that is hideously deformed. In some shots, it is clear they are hiding the back end of the grand. There is a moment, however, when we see an aerial view of a square piano interior, which ain't no Broadwood! The layout is wrong, the dampers are wrong. Why go to so much trouble when all they needed was a real square piano, and a mock-up that could stand being left on the beach at high tide!

I love the idea that in the midst of all this poverty and squalour, a tuner turned up in the middle of nowhere just to tune one square!

And despite being on the beach at high tide, it still works, and holds in tune.

Did anyone think the film was worth the effort?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

I'm sure what was on the beach was just a prop.

So Bert Weedon played on string on the guitar - There must be someone on here who is equally adept at playing the one string banjo?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sorry, my banjos have 4, 5 or 8 strings. Of course, the definition of a gentleman is a person who could play the banjo, but chooses not to. There are almost as many banjoist jokes as drummer jokes.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Playing the 1 string banjo is actually played on an organ and not a banjo!
:twisted:

I'm sure Einaudi must be familiar with the technique :twisted: