Erhard New York Baby Grand 139786

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

ruth

Post by ruth »

Hi,

I have just aquired an Erhard New York baby grand piano with the serial number 139786. Do you have any idea how old this piano might be?

thanks!!
Bill Kibby

Erhardt?

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you mean Erhardt, the number suggests 1906, but if it's Erhard I have no idea, and if it's Erard, we need more information.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
ruth

Post by ruth »

Thanks for your speedy reply!!

It is in fact Erhard. I have been searching on the internet for more information on this company, and I can only find 2 or 3 mentions of it inbedded in articles about people who have owned these pianos in the 1830s, when the manufacturer was located in Paris and the owners lived in Germany....

I did also see that around the turn of the century Sebastian Erhard changed his name to Erard..I am not certain if it is the same company as the Erard of which you speak, but I did find this information on this site. In addition I read that a company called Schimmel purchased the name Erhard in 1971.

I think that my piano is older than 1971, so I do not think that it was manufacturered by Schimmel, but I am not certain, so it is possible.

I have found no information about Erhard New York.

If you come across anything, or have any reseach ideas for me, please let me know.

Thanks again
Bill Kibby

Erhard

Post by Bill Kibby »

I think you can safely dismiss connections with Erard of Paris, who were taken over by Schimmel in the seventies. The Pierce Piano Atlas lists some serial number dates for Erhardt, but if you read my comments at the Numbers link on pianogen.org you may feel that this was yet another incorrectly spelt name. However, their numbers do not go up to 6 digits. The only suggestion I can make is to seek local history information in New York, you are unlikely to find the serial number useful.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Erhard New York Baby Grand 139786

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ruth wrote:
It is in fact Erhard. I have been searching on the internet for more information on this company, and I can only find 2 or 3 mentions of it inbedded in articles about people who have owned these pianos in the 1830s, when the manufacturer was located in Paris and the owners lived in Germany....

Erhard was est in 1903 their pianos were made by Walters and the main outlet for them was Bloomindales

If they were using Walters serial numbers then the date would be c1929 Walters discontinued in 1929

The Walters factory was in: Wilur Av, Long Island, NY est 1902 they was controlled by the Bloomindales brothers

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ruth

Post by ruth »

thanks-

I actually was given a response from a site called bluebook of pianos. I will provide the information here in case you are curious...thanks again.

"Erhard Small Baby Grand Piano bearing serial number 139786 manufactured in 1937.

ERHARD. Established in 1903. Made by Walters Piano Company for retailer Bloomingdale Brothers Department Store. Factory was on Wibur Avenue, New York.

Erhard pianos were known for their beauty of its case designs. Special attention was given to this important feature of artistic piano making that even the regular models of this line are noteworthy for their simplicity and grace. They are examples of some of the finest cabinet making in the piano industry. These pianos are valued as much as for their musical capabilities, as they are examples of some of the finest cabinet making in the piano industry. Parts for these instruments are available, and rebuilding is usually expensive yet justified because of their unusually elaborate cases. "
ruth

Post by ruth »

Thanks Barrie,

I did not see your post before I posted my last, (sorry!)...

Interesting that I now have two dates. c1929 and c1937. Would you be able to provide any additional information on how you determined the date c1929? Also, do you know anything else about these pianos? (How many were produced/sold?, What was the reputation?, etc.)

Ruth
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

1929 is the last know published dates with numbers Blue book may have contacted Federated Department Stores to see if they had any information or just guessed by adding 150 or so pianos a year to known numbers.

Blue Book would have more insight in the make of the piano than us as he is in the USA and we are not

You could find out when the factory was closed you now have the address

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Leglanche

Re: Erhard New York Baby Grand 139786

Post by Leglanche »

I happen to have an Erhard as well. It’s been the family piano for 52 years. I have no idea where in the City of Los Angeles my Parents bought it. Somewhere in the San Fernando Valley is my guess. The stamped number underneath is 10721. There is also an old dilapidated sticker from National Piano Manufacturers Association that has the number A44150. I will do some research from the info I’ve read above. Thx for any info you might have on it.

Mark