Reisbach by Grotrian Steinweg?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Reisbach by Grotrian Steinweg?

Post by andyaeola »

Seasons Greetings to all here. Yesterday I was playing on an old upright from probably 1920-40 that had Reisbach in the centre, but above the high treble in smaller lettering was written 'Made by Grotrian Steinweg'. Wondering why it had a stencil name, I googled and found this:

"... taught privately for many years with a high-quality Rogers grand piano (badged "Reisbach"). This piano - a 5' 6" boudoir grand in a rosewood case - was built around 1920 by Rogers of London and was sold, new, from the London showroom floor of Grotrian-Steinweg, ....The "Reisbach" piano has a rich and mellow tone, unmistakeably English in character, but it is also satisfyingly powerful when so called upon. This is a fine instrument, suited ideally to an advanced amateur pianist looking to upgrade from an upright piano..."

My question is, can we know whether the Resibach upright piano I played is made by Grotrian in Germany, or Rodgers in London? Just curious...

Regards

Andy
Bill Kibby

Reisbach

Post by Bill Kibby »

At different times, some Reisbach pianos were made by Zender, and some by Rogers, but they are also connected in some way with a firm called Lloyd. This one's a puzzle to me. Have a look at the "Piano Names" and "Datemarks" links at pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Reisbach

Post by PianoGuy »

Bill Kibby wrote:At different times, some Reisbach pianos were made by Zender, and some by Rogers, but they are also connected in some way with a firm called Lloyd. This one's a puzzle to me. Have a look at the "Piano Names" and "Datemarks" links at pianogen.org
Are you sure Bill?

Reisbachs were certainly made by Rogers and sold (I think) in Grotrian's West-End showroom alongside the German pianos as a cheaper alternative, but I think the piano made by Zender was the Reislan which was marketed by Messrs. Squire, Ealing in the '50s and '60s.

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm mistaken!

Happy New Year!

PG
Bill Kibby

Who knows where or when?

Post by Bill Kibby »

The early Reisbachs were German, then Rogers made them, and it says in my files that Zender made some too, but I don't know where it came from, or when, so these were probably later...

Or I may be wrong!...

Or I may have read it in the Pierce Piano Atlas!

Have a good 2007!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Who knows where or when?

Post by PianoGuy »

Bill Kibby wrote: Or I may have read it in the Pierce Piano Atlas!

Have a good 2007!
What does a Hammond-Organ flogging Yank know about Limey Joannas?!! :wink:

Cheers Bill!!
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Thanks for the information. Probably an early german made piano then as the wording says. Next boxing day I shall take a look inside.
It's a full size instrument which hasn't been tuned for years though it's in a stable house environment. Easy to play loose action, but has that typical old sound. There were nine players present not including children so it got a good work out.
Jazz still suits it, but anything else sounded terrible, even the Christmas carols...luckily the enthusiastic singing drowned it out.

Regards

Andy
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Reisbach by Grotrian Steinweg?

Post by PianoGuy »

andyaeola wrote: My question is, can we know whether the Resibach upright piano I played is made by Grotrian in Germany, or Rodgers in London? Just curious...
My money is on London.

German Reisbachs were not made by Grotrian, and the 'boast' that the piano was made by Grotrian Steinweg on the fall suggests that it is a British piano.

A German made instrument would not be bothering to emphasise its German connections, and certainly not in the English language. It's a bit like the statement on the infamous Welmar "Disclaimer-Plaque" which was fitted to the inside of '30s Welmars which read something like "The Welmar Piano is made in London by Bluthner & Co. and must not be confused with the famous Blüthner pianos made in Leipzig, Germany" This was later reworded to read "Whelpdale, Maxwell & Codd Ltd." in place of the "Bluthner & Co" when anti-German sentiment was at its worst in the inter-War years.

Both the Welmar statement and the Grotrian label did the double service of alluding to the quality of the British product by being associated with the German one whilst removing it some distance from those Fiendish Filthy Boche who actually made it.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

I recently bought a Grotrian upright. It is much heavier than my Chappell upright. So try lifting one end of it and if you can then its English, if you can't then its a Kraut. The rear has a gauze covering, if you remove that and its wooden frame by unscrewing the screws, you will see a 4"x4" frame that is steam bent through 90' at two corners onto which the sound board is fixed. Solid construction.