Upright Barratt & Robinson piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

dan_powell

Upright Barratt & Robinson piano

Post by dan_powell »

Hi.

I have an upright piano at home, with Barratt and Robinson stamps, as well as stamps for Murdoch, Murdoch and co.

I have the serial number as 11495, and have dated the piano to 1921-25.

There is also a patent number of 439144.....which is really what i want to trace. I hope someone can help me out by telling me where i can find information on a description for this piano as I am not certain what it is exactly. The previous owner did not know, and neither does my piano tuner.

Thank you

Dan
Bill Kibby

Barratt & Robinson

Post by Bill Kibby »

When you say "I am not certain what it is exactly", what exactly? Patent details can be researched by quoting the number to the Patent Office, but it may not help you learn any more about your piano.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upright Barratt & Robinson piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

dan_powell wrote:Hi.

There is also a patent number of 439144.....which is really what i want to trace. I hope someone

Dan
It is 32 pages long and has 3 diagrams title Improvements to the piano action on order.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dan_powell

Post by dan_powell »

Well really i was wondering whether it was a rare type of piano or not. My piano tuner has never seen one like it, and I don't know anyone that has.

I've tried the patent website, but according to that it doesn't exist. I've not got a great knowledge of how these patents work though.

[/list]
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

dan_powell wrote:Well really i was wondering whether it was a rare type of piano or not. My piano tuner has never seen one like it, and I don't know anyone that has.

[/list]
If it was in production then there will be hundreds and possibly thousands of them about.. photos would be useful of the inside and outside of the piano.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Barratt & Robinson

Post by Bill Kibby »

As Barrie says, most pianos are mass-produced, but I am sitting next to one which may be the only surviving example by its maker, but that doesn't give it value, I saved it from the crematorium! I can compile a report from photos via the PianoGen website.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A raw scan of the patent number of 439144 including diagrams

http://www.a440.co.uk/test/BR439144.pdf

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page